• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bit undecided on what swap to do.

93 Ohio Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alrighty well the ranger will not be my dd soon after i pick up a little 4cyl 5spd ranger or neon for a daily driver and good gas mileage.

Keep in mind this swap wont happen for a while im just trying to find the pros and cons of each swap and kind of out weigh the better one.

I really want to motor swap it as the 3.0 just wont be enough for once its done.

I have pondered the idea of a Cummins 4bt with a zf-5 speed transmission. Great reliable little motors, i know there a bit on the heavy side but that wont bother me. I have access to one me and my friend rebuilt, it was a cummins reman but we freshened it up with new rings,bearings,oil pump, gaskets all from cummins, than a rebuilt injection pump and injectors from ohio diesel. New filters too. It was ran for a hour max after we rebuilt it and than it was covered up and is in his garage right now. I can get it for 2000 with tranny bell hosuing clutch ect. He has the records for the parts which totals up to 1200 for the parts and 500 for motor. So its not a bad deal at all has a hx-35 turbo on it also.

Or i have thought about a 302. If i go 302 i dont want fuel injection i want a carb set up. Id want her to have 300ish horse and around 350 torque. What would be a good set up for that? I can find a 302 for 100-150 so itd probably be cheaper.

Give me your pros and cons, im leaning towards the cummins swap because i just graduated from a diesel class at my local trade school and i know the cummins 4bt inside and out and they are amazing little motors, and a itd be funny to see the looks from people when i roll by dumping smoke from a ranger.

sllib

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Unless you've beefed up your drive train the 300/350 will eat it up, so add a tranny, rear, and new drive shaft into the equation.

93 Ohio Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Unless you've beefed up your drive train the 300/350 will eat it up, so add a tranny, rear, and new drive shaft into the equation.
Its going to have a 9 inch with a locker and not sure one gearing yet. And a zf5spd with custom built driveshaft.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
imo you'll be happier with the power of the 302, 300HP/350Tq is not hard to make. im a huge diesel guy to but a cummins just doesn't seem right to me in a ranger, although there are some badass rangers with little diesels in them.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A 9in wont hold up with the power of a built v8 or 4bt if you want big tires, so you better get some 60's

93 Ohio Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A 9in wont hold up with the power of a built v8 or 4bt if you want big tires, so you better get some 60's
9 inch will hold up with that power easily, my buddy has a 302 with i think 310 horsepower ish and its on 36s which is what im running and hes a pin it to win it guy and its going good. Im the light throttle guy.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ehh.......I doubt it, but do what you want

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals