• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Biggest tires on a d30

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been asking around and searching on here but haven't really gotten an answer. I'm looking to put a Dana 30 under my truck and want to run 37's but I don't want to run to big of a tire. Plus I can get one a lot cheaper than a 44 around here. So opinions and advice is greatly appreciated.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
30's.. driving smart, you can do 37's. just keep spare shafts/joints just in case.

I know of guys running them in my local club on 35's-37's, locked, and will run any trail in the park(other than the buggy trails) they want to with minimal breaking.

main thing is find a HP d30 with no CAD crap, and the larger u-joints. 95-99 XJ axle is the best option.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am running 37's with my HP dana 30 with the CAD spot. The CAD is not there and the axle is trussed. I take it easy for the most part cause I know it is a time bomb. I have a lunchbox locker in it with the better shafts and larger ujoints. I have a buddy running the CV shafts in his 30 with no problem. I do carry extra shafts with me to but have never broke one......yet.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Do the D44 thing and don't play around 37" tires are heavy, and add a lot of stress, not even thinking if the brakes will handle the unstrung weight.

What you pay up front with the D44 will be returned to you in saved work and parts.

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If you're wanting to run The Rubicon, Fordyce, Hell Hole, etc. don't even dick around with a Dana 30.
If you just want to play in the mud or maybe screw around out at camp far west, you'll probably be okay.....for a little while atleast.

I don't know where you have been looking for a D44 but they can be found cheap. I picked mine up for $200 and I think Wes got his for free.
Ben and Wes are both getting ready to do their SAS' soon. Ask in the NorCal chat thread if anyone has a hook up on a cheap D44.

To me a couple of hundred dollars isn't worth the headache and hassle of worrying about when my axle will fail and having to make a trail repair and trying to limp home on a trail repair.

-Jester

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
one of my buddies has 44's on his d30 under is xj, he has never broke nothin and he beats on it, then i have another buddy that is on 35s and does everything that my other buddy does and he has had to rebuild it 3 times, so u might get lucky and be able to 44's or u could have bad luck and not be able to put anything more than a 33. Like the post above me says, just go with a 44, you will have alot less trouble and u would be safe to put 37's or heck go to a d60 and forget about it and run it

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With 37's being part of the master plan from the get-go I would skip straight to a D60 if you plan on ever really using 4wd.

1986broncoiister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah if your thinking of running 37's i would go with a d44 or d60 for a dana 30 i would go to at least 35's max or 33's on the d30

Last edited:

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input guys. One of the other reasons is down time but I guess sas'ing will take the same amount of time no matter what axles you decide to use.
If you're wanting to run The Rubicon, Fordyce, Hell Hole, etc. don't even dick around with a Dana 30.
If you just want to play in the mud or maybe screw around out at camp far west, you'll probably be okay.....for a little while atleast.

I don't know where you have been looking for a D44 but they can be found cheap. I picked mine up for $200 and I think Wes got his for free.
Ben and Wes are both getting ready to do their SAS' soon. Ask in the NorCal chat thread if anyone has a hook up on a cheap D44.

To me a couple of hundred dollars isn't worth the headache and hassle of worrying about when my axle will fail and having to make a trail repair and trying to limp home on a trail repair.

-Jester
Mostly Craigslist it seems like everyone wants way to much for them. Cheapest I've found is 350, I would like to run all the trails you've mentioned but again d44's are scarce from where I been lookin. Shoot if I could find a free one that's be great. As far as the 44 are you saying a 8 lug or 5?

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
ryan it's not bullshit and i know what i have seen so f off

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Many fellow club members were not able to keep D30's together with locked front ends on 36" TSL's.

44 or just skip the middle man and go to the D60.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
ryan ur a f'ing troll

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys no need to caps lock each other to death.lol
Dang well looks like a d30 is not exactly the way to go. Ill look around for d44.
Hey Sasquatch would you happen to know how much wider a Dana 60 is compared to a d44 offhand?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals