• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Biggest injector from Junkyard I could get away with on a stock 2.3L??

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Since stock are 14lb/hr, can I cheat a bit and find some used 15s or even 19s??

I ran some online calculators and 14lb max out at 90 HP and thats about what I can make stock.
19s max out at 120 hp. (2.3L)
Thats 30% more flow from 14-19, tolerable??

I have (8) from a 5.0L 2001 engine and will have (8) from a 1997 explorer (all behave well!)
Raping a Sable at teh JYD would get me some newer (lower mileage) injectors.

Is 19 too big and going to cause low speed issues with too short a duty cycle required to operate?

Im cheap, truck is a POS Frankenstein and I dont want to drop another $150 in injectors.

Hoping to find some 1999 injectors on a low mileage donor. But will be from a higher output engine and likley closer to 19lb

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I may have just found the answer on corral.net.

Explorer runs a 65 psi fuel system and the injectors for 2001 are 23lb at that pressure.
Someone pulled the ford spec and derived at 39psi (mustang application) flow would drop to 17-18 lb.
So at 35 PSI, I should derate to about 15-17 which is on the money.

Any feedback on that line of thought would be helpful.

My set of 8 (2001 Explorer) only have 50k miles on them from the factory. In storage since 2005.

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
pjtoledo:

That read, and I read some twice and three times, was HUGE....
It truly is a fairly deep dissertaion on EFI fuel systems in total.

I realize I began to consider an injector I didnt even "look" at beforehand as replacement.
I believe the Explorer part is an EV6 form factor and the Ranger is for sure an EV1 body.

Potentially Explorer parts may be completely useless due to length and shape, I wont even bother to review.
As well, after sleeping on it, the injectors are leaking down (so be it) and I know fuel consumption will be up a bit due to intrinsic leaking on "off cycles" but ECU can compenate for some of it while running (SOME, NOT ALL) and it might work hard to do so, oh well.... the truck starts easy as is so its just a lingering detail I must try to put out of my head (unless something fails).

Interestingly: I now understand PSI-D (delta) and where the corral.net person got 39.15 psi for their statements. And I think the statement of standing 60 psi on the rail is a misnomer and maybe the author is incorrect. Thus I can and will use the Ford guide as a reference and not necessarily a forum thread comment.

Since I have a nat asp engine, there is a vacuum in manifold so negative pressure on the end of the injector. Difference from rail pressure to injector face is the actual "across injector" pressure as spcified by manufacturer.

Add my 30-35psi to the minus 4/8 psi in manifold and I have about 40 psi.
Therefore the 39.15 PSID spec has been met and any calculation I make should be referencing 39.15 PSID flow rate data, not measured rail pressure. There is the AHA moment.

I didnt read the MAF section as I need to digest and re-read the injector section first. Ill go to bed, ponder in sleep and wake up with some enlightenment to build on; at least thats how it has happened for the last 52 years.

Many thanks to you for the document.

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
maybe I should have read the article too :dntknw:

for a follow up, try their formula (s) to compute the real compression ratio

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals