• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

big buck carburators

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
i never had any issues with quadrjets. nor holley (motorcraft) or edlebrock either, though. webers are what i always run on euro engines because of the smaller displacement versus the v8s in trucks and american cars that were carb'd.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
i never had any issues with quadrjets. nor holley (motorcraft) or edlebrock either, though. webers are what i always run on euro engines because of the smaller displacement versus the v8s in trucks and american cars that were carb'd.
I always had incrediable luck with edelbrocks.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I always had incrediable luck with edelbrocks.
I love mine.

The "can I get it running and drive it home" guys on YouTube love the floodrajets. Just figure the accelerator pump will be crispy from sitting but if the carb isn't seized if it won't run it isn't because of the carb.

The only holleys I have been around are the aluminum updraft pos's from new gen john deere tractors.

I could make the sound of them hitting the scrap tank my ring tone. Too lightweight to even function as a mediocre doorstop.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I love mine.

The "can I get it running and drive it home" guys on YouTube love the floodrajets. Just figure the accelerator pump will be crispy from sitting but if the carb isn't seized if it won't run it isn't because of the carb.

The only holleys I have been around are the aluminum updraft pos's from new gen john deere tractors.

I could make the sound of them hitting the scrap tank my ring tone. Too lightweight to even function as a mediocre doorstop.
The 2150 is similar in that fashion. Atleast the pre feedback ones. It may not run correctly...but it will start and get you somewhere.

Besides the 2150 is simple enough to rebuild you can do it roadside...in the dark...in the rain.

Ive had a couple edelbrocks. Both ran amazing and never had to touch them. I dont think they got the performance potential of a holley, but for a "get in and go" carb...i think they are A1 and on par with the 2150.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 2150 is similar in that fashion. Atleast the pre feedback ones. It may not run correctly...but it will start and get you somewhere.

Besides the 2150 is simple enough to rebuild you can do it roadside...in the dark...in the rain.

Ive had a couple edelbrocks. Both ran amazing and never had to touch them. I dont think they got the performance potential of a holley, but for a "get in and go" carb...i think they are A1 and on par with the 2150.
It ran rich but my feedback 2150 ran good otherwise with no computer input.

I didnt find the correct size non feedback 2150 until I got my first 302 but by then I had my sights set higher than putting more money/effort in the 2.8.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not sure at all about mine. I think they're good ones to have but might be in poor shape. The guy who saved them was a Ford mechanic in town for many years and worked on them too after he got home. I saved a couple gauge clusters and other oddball stuff too, not sure what all. A ton of old glass bottom carbs or fuel filters

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I'm not sure at all about mine. I think they're good ones to have but might be in poor shape. The guy who saved them was a Ford mechanic in town for many years and worked on them too after he got home. I saved a couple gauge clusters and other oddball stuff too, not sure what all. A ton of old glass bottom carbs or fuel filters
A 2150 is rebuldable as long as the throttle shaft bushings arnt worn. Even then they are replaceable but i dont have to tools (mainly a press) to do it.

The carb that was on my LTD is...well...screwed. The throttle shaft is locked up and its missing lots of stuff ive stolen for other stuff over the years. I have a 1.21venturi 2150 core i got on ebay for my 77 F250 but its full of white crystal (ethanol?) That doesnt seem to wanna come out.

Im contemplating running a holley 350/500cfm 2bbl (even as much as i hate holley) or switching to a 4bbl and running an edelbrock performer.

Just havent decided what i wanna do yet.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
i ran a 390cfm holley four barrel on my stroked jeep 4.5 inline 6. gas mileage improved and power improved over the 2150. i got lucky and found one for 100 bucks on ebay from an early mustang.

and when i swapped a 302 in place of hte 6, it bolted right on

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They should bolt right on, they should fit the same base

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A 2150 is rebuldable as long as the throttle shaft bushings arnt worn. Even then they are replaceable but i dont have to tools (mainly a press) to do it.

The carb that was on my LTD is...well...screwed. The throttle shaft is locked up and its missing lots of stuff ive stolen for other stuff over the years. I have a 1.21venturi 2150 core i got on ebay for my 77 F250 but its full of white crystal (ethanol?) That doesnt seem to wanna come out.

Im contemplating running a holley 350/500cfm 2bbl (even as much as i hate holley) or switching to a 4bbl and running an edelbrock performer.

Just havent decided what i wanna do yet.
I'll see if I can find you one Rusty

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I managed getting a couple out without getting eaten. This is kind of a rough average. I had a couple of 4 barrels but not sure where they went, also a few single somewhere, and a few other two barrel, this is likely an average tho. I liquid wrenched em with a shot of penetrating oil and they opened right up, not exactly stored in a glass cabinet though
DSCF4172.JPG

Attachments

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
those look like normal old ford carbs that have been in the shed for a while. they will clean up fine

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I managed getting a couple out without getting eaten. This is kind of a rough average. I had a couple of 4 barrels but not sure where they went, also a few single somewhere, and a few other two barrel, this is likely an average tho. I liquid wrenched em with a shot of penetrating oil and they opened right up, not exactly stored in a glass cabinet though
View attachment 99380
How much for one?

And are the throttle shafts good and tight?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't know Rusty, what do you have to swap? any auto hubs? manuals either I guess, long as either one is workable
They seemed good and snug, I sprayed some Liquid wrench on each one and they wiggled right loose. You'll want to do a full rebuild I believe but that was never a problem for me. The one on the left seems to be the most complete

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals