• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best sound system for the best price?

Redneck_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I'm looking into getting a full sound system for my truck. I'm thinking something around a 600W amp, Pioneer speakers and two Pioneer subs for the back seat. I'm custom making a box for underneath the back seats, so I'd need a shallow sub. I'm looking for something decently priced. Anyone gurus with these types of things?

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Forget about that system you picked out at Walmart.

Here's what I got...
Alpine headunit, forgot the model
Polk door and rear speakers
Power Acoustik 1600w mono amp
Kicker comp DVC shallow 10"
Kicker shallow truck box
Only got $800 in it

Sounds amazing (after tuning)
Out performs my buddy's 2 12"s
And my passengers seat goes all the way back

You can EBay most of it, for a really good price. I'm a fan of the factory refurbished items. My sub and box are "refurbished". They come together, mine was pre-wired @ 2ohms and put in 4ohm packaging, then was sent back for refurbishing. $150 off... Deal! My old amp was refurbished also, $240 amp for only $90. Came with a 1 year warranty and lasted 3 years.

And another note. Power Acoustik amplifiers are the best boom for the buck.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Sound systems are as varied as the type of music you play on them. You will have to tailor it to your ears. It is very difficult for us to tell you what to buy. Just remember you get what you pay for. My system consists of products from Kenwood, Sony, JL Audio, JBL, MB Quart, and McIntosh. The only thing I really wish to trash is the crappy Audiopipe crossover.

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130588

Head unit Clarion CZ500
Equalizer Clarion EQS746
Front Speakers Polk DB571
Rear Speakers Kenwood KFC-C6882ie
Sub Kicker 10CVR104
Sub amp Kicker 10ZX400.1
Speaker amp Rockford Fosgate PBR300x4

All said and done I have about 1000 in it but anyone who has heard it is blown away by the sound quality and volume.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
You won't go wrong using a Pioneer deck and speakers. Just don't get the Walmart versions. My deck is about 3 years old, and it has an Ipod hookups (never used it) or USB. I also love having the sub controls in the deck (gain and crossover). I honestly can not remember the last CD I put in it. So, what I am getting at is, get a deck with USB. You'll thank me later. I also really like the Pioneer D Series door speakers. That's what I have in my truck.

My Mustang has a Pioneer deck with factory speakers (I know...). It has an Orion 500 Watt amp and an MA Audio 10 inch DVC that I like a lot as well.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sound systems are as varied as the type of music you play on them. You will have to tailor it to your ears. It is very difficult for us to tell you what to buy.
Extremely true. Mine sounds amazing playing all sorts of country, rock, and metal. My sub distorts when playing rap, hip-hop, and pop. It just won't hit those long low notes, but crank up some Five Finger Death Punch or Slipknot and it keeps right up with with bass guitars and double bass drums. That's also why I went with a 10" and not 12"s.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Subscribed. I'll post up some info when I get to my laptop.

AmericanPride

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Forget about that system you picked out at Walmart.
X2

Are you looking at just putting the low end everything in? Pioneer isn't the name is once was. The low end stuff should be left alone from them now.

If you want a decent deck at low cost...I'd go with a Kenwood or JVC. Mainly because they have a lot of EQ abilities and generally have a lot of features for the lower end models. No so true with Pioneer.

If you want cheap quality sounding speakers...can't go wrong with Infinity. Cheap, easy to find, and sound amazing for the price.

You've kinda shook the hornet's nest bud.

I would expect a lot of debating and a variety of opinions.

The 2 main different kinds of advice you'll get will be...

1- Professional opinions. Those of us who are MECP certified and do this kind of work on a daily basis as a Profession.

2 - Backyard mechanics who have done this kind of stuff at most a few times with personal vehicles. But usually base their information off one single event.

Now, I'm not trying to be insulting to anyone. Just make sure you're getting correct information. Just because somebody says "I have these in my truck and they are the BEST". Doesn't mean they are...everyone has different tastes. Some of the backyard guys wouldn't even notice a sound quality difference that Professionals hear a mile away.

Some professionals don't have experience with as many brands as others. That makes their opinion kind of biased.

Good luck

Redneck_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the input everybody. I listen mostly to country and classic rock, sometimes some hard rock. I'm kinda just leaning towards speakers and an amp now since I have to use the back seats. I've heard good about infinity. I have a Kenwood KDC-248u head in now and junk yard speakers. Boston in front, Alpine Type-S in the back. For $4 a speaker, they work pretty damn good lol

AmericanPride

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've heard good about infinity. I have a Kenwood KDC-248u head in now and junk yard speakers. Boston in front, Alpine Type-S in the back. For $4 a speaker, they work pretty damn good lol
You got lucky if that's what you found at a junkyard. If they aren't blown I would just suggest leaving them for now and put an Alpine power pack in. It'll give you a nice boost in sound for about $130 local.

Get a better deck before speakers. Again though...as long as those speakers aren't blown.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTP445U/Alpine-KTP-445U-Power-Pack.html?search=alpine+amp

Redneck_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I went to best buy tonight. I'm gonna go full pioneer without subs. New head, four 6x8 speakers, and a 4 channel 460W amp. 40W per speaker, and 300 for a sub if I decide to add one in later.

I'm gonna try to keep everything pioneer, so I'd like a pioneer head too. I'm just particular like that...

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
are u sure that 460 is wrms or peak power make sure u know that before u buy it.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Can't go wrong with Pioneer in car audio. I don't like their home audio stuff though.

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals