• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Beginner With A Ranger

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
With that silicone spray, use it sparingly around anything you might ever think about painting as NOTHING can cut it, once it's there it's there unless you just wait it out...

The cheapest cleaner that works decent is Awesome Clean, yellow liquid in a clear bottle at Dollar General and other places, super cheap, just spray full strength and spray off with a hose a few minutes later... I think I used Super Clean more (purple spray bottle, little more expensive) when I cleaned my F350 transmission but with those two combined with an electric pressure washer I made this difference (apparently in an hour looking at the time stamp):

20230603_113046.jpg
20230603_123205.jpg

AutoRnD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
With that silicone spray, use it sparingly around anything you might ever think about painting as NOTHING can cut it, once it's there it's there unless you just wait it out...

View attachment 100941View attachment 100942
These details are the things that aren't explained to me when I watch videos.

The results you got on that, niiice! That's the type of stuff I like to do. Make stuff work right and make it shiney. Well... to be honest I don't actually do that BUT I want to get there.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I just wanted to be able to touch that thing, it was gross and needed rebuilt and is a mere 180 pounds, and the whole rotating assembly has to be installed in one chunk! It's been a heck of a year with rebuilding two manual transmissions and an engine... I think I've gone through almost 3 cases of brake clean... if I keep this up I think I need to buy it in the 5 gallon bucket and get a sprayer...

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I wasn't correcting you about hood cleaner I just meant i don't have clue what it was so i quoted it. Believe me, I'm the last to be in the right to correct anyone! Sorry for the confusion.

I just realized you're the guy I have to bribe to get my truck in the calendar. Granted it's far from being a quality Ranger right now BUT I know who THE GUY is now...
I didn’t think you were correcting me. But since I corrected my self, I mentioned it so your comment would still make sense. I am often doing this on a cell phone. I don’t get along well with the tiny keyboard or autocorrect. And I don’t always catch autocorrects ambushes before hitting the “submit” button.

You didn’t offend me and you CAN’T offend me. I’m 59 yrs old and have a long career in the military, construction and industrial maintenance. I’ve been teased, insulted, beaten and abused by the best of them. I don’t take my feelings into work with me and I don’t bring them here. My sense of humor exceeds the legal limits, as it does for many of the regulars around here. So, relax and enjoy the show. We’ll tease you, too. Don’t take it personally.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I use a product caeeld either Awesome Pink or Incredible Pink to clean a lot of stuff, brake dut on wheels, white letter tires, and engines included. At the dealer we bought Pink Stuff in 55 gallon drums for recon and it smelled the same. Just spray in on, let it sit for 5-10 minutes and hose it off- make sure to do it outside or the fumes will get you. After motor washing I always wash the vehicle because if it gets on the paint it will strip off the wax.

AutoRnD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I thought I posted this message last night:

I drove it and it still rattles. It sounds less but it's more raspy now. Does the catalytic converter have some sort of delicate gaskets I have to worry about? Considering it's age I'm sure some would have to just plain be replaced.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3

The cheapest cleaner that works decent is Awesome Clean, yellow liquid in a clear bottle at Dollar General and other places, super cheap, just spray full strength and spray off with a hose a few minutes later... I think I used Super Clean more (purple spray bottle, little more expensive) when I cleaned my F350 transmission but with those two combined with an electric pressure washer I made this difference (apparently in an hour looking at the time stamp):

View attachment 100941View attachment 100942

can you post a few detailed pics of the Tcase shifter. I have a ZF and a couple different Tcases but no shifters for them.
Thanks.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Here's what I would do next.

Crawl back under there and tap on the different parts of the exhaust system, preferably with a rubber mallet, but the heel of your hand can work too (just be carefull and gloves would be a good idea). And then bang around on other parts that you can and access.

By far the most rattles that I've dealt with coming from under my trucks have been heat shields around the cat. The spot welds on these shields break, and you can usually duplicate the rattle when you bang on the parts.

I have had good results, and no problem with, using baling wire, around the part and twisted, to secure the loose shields and stop the rattle.

You've found fixed part of it when you found the loose piece that you removed.

Kira

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
There was a steam cleaner near me who did trucks. They used kerosene and a steam jenny to blow the thick, black grime off my old used car finds.
I made -and donated to the guy- a pair of wooden ramps so he could shoot the transmissions more easily.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals