• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

beginner needs help asap

cbc24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
hey i got a 98 ford ranger 4x4 4.0l with 260k but heres the problem the previous owner my cousin swapped the motor out and put a 4.o off of a explorer in it, the check engine light wont come off, i get 10 mpg and its gettign pricy to drive for a 16 yr old, :icon_confused::sad:

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
check your maf and o2 sensors take it to auto zone or advanced auto or someplace like that so they can pull the code for you

cbc24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
anyways my dad 97 ranger 2wd has a different fuel pressure regulator hes wondering if its suposed to be different, we went to ford and baught one for a 98 and its the same as a 97? we hooked the computer up and it says these same codes but we cant find what it is, it says its running ultra rich, basicly when im at idle its getting the same amount of fuel as to the pin,

cbc24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
dads a ford mechanic, even windsor ford cant find em, but the pressure from the regulator is always at 65 psi it never changes? 02 sensors r good so is the maf sensor

cbc24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
the codes are 1132 and 1152 for a 98 4.o

smokey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
check for vacuum leaks at all the hose connections,the intake.

cbc24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
yeah today when i was at work it souldnt start, it made sounds of life so i feathered the throttle and it was plugged up ran it at 3000 rpm for a while thne it was all clear, its bad, im wondering if its the intake gasket above the manifold thank

prefab08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
try the cats i had mine plug up on my 97 mazda b 3000 same type of problems your describing, a pluged cat can cause more problems then you can imagin, i cut out the cat and put a pipe in its place to find the problem then replaced the cat then ran like a top ... on way or testing is take an old o2 sensor drill it out and weld a pipe fitting that you can put an air presure gage on , if the presure is over 3-4 psi you have a pluged cat. try it cant hurt

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
While I suppose that might work, a much easier way is to use a vacuum gauge on the intake manifold (since you're at idle, you can use the power brake booster port if all the nipples are used). If the vacuum slowly drops and is low at idle, exhaust is plugged. Or you could put a pressure gauge on the EGR sensor port if you have EGR. No need to fabricate adapters, or change all the variables by removing the HEGO sensor and putting it in limp mode.

prefab08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ah yes never thoght of that, i have to check cats often so i built the tool but then again i mostly use it on 1999 to 2006 chevy's but im on a hoist and the truck is up there any way . 1 cat on a ranger somewhere around 40 on chevs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals