• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Backup light issue.

baadboy11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok so i wired up some backup lights using the diagram in the tech library, and they come on in reverse, but the switch they are also wired to doesn't turn them on or off....any ideas whats wrong? I know the switch works so i think something is connected to the relay incorrectly... Thanks

baadboy11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Oh fyi i've got it wired exactly like the diagram above

JRanger91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 1991
Make / Model
4x4 Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0L & 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I think you have to wire them to either the switch or the back-up lights, not both. I haven't used a 5 terminal relay before, only 4 terminal relays. Try splicing the wire going to 87A into 86. This should allow you to turn the lights on/off when not in reverse.

baadboy11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
k i'll give that a shot...what is the switch for in the diagram if it doesn't do anything...i'm confused...i looked around online too and people have the relay wired all sorts of different ways....hmm:shok:

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
a relay is just a high amp switch. terminal 86 supplies power to the coil (switching mechanism), 87 is your power supply to the lights. 87A seems to be a second power supply so that you can turn the lights on with out the truck being in reverse. you might have the wrong kinda of relay (internally). if you dont want the light to come on ever time you put the truck in reverse wire the switch in series of terminal 86 and the TL lights. or the battery and terminal 87. if you want the switch to turn on the lights with out putting the truck into reverse move the switch wire from 87A to terminal 86 along with the wire from the tail lights

mudnsnow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
it's going to run this way. and for the relay: when the relay is not energized, 30 and 87A are in contact, when it's energized 30 and 87 are in contact.

baadboy11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
sweet thanks guys, i'll switch some stuff around when the weather warms back up...dang Colorado it was 70 two days ago and now its snowing...gotta love it!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals