• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B4000 IAC / idle problem

dangus582

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Manual
To blogpost or not.

B4000
4.0 manual M5OD
Post sep

Bought a 94 B4000 (manual) gem for $1500 on valentines day. The weird problems are starting to best me.

Recently changed the IAC since the idle was a bit choppy (+/- 5% or so) and would hunt. Occasional stall on rapid stops, gear directional change and slow turns. Loses power at about 10 min into driving. Sometimes spews so much coolant I have to give it a break. Think that's a coil pack issue.

Transfer case motor fully detached, 4x4 isn't working properly. ABS light on. Friend trying to troubleshoot that.

Feels like trans shifts a 2nd time. Like a rough shift but with no clutch and no hand on the knob. Pressure plate sticking?

Anyway, coolant and stalling: Figured its either electrical or vacuum.

Changed IAC.

truck starts, but zooms up to 2500-3000rpm, turns the crank once and turns off. If I tap the throttle, zoom back up to 3000, and shut off without more throttle tapping. After about a minute of throttle tapping, she starts to idle. Idles high at 1100. No more spontaneous turnoff as aforementioned

Changing PCV today. Tried starting fluid spray, didn't see a vacuum leak near EGR.

Egr Is blocked (1/16 hole)
Vapor canister is deleted (tubes recirc fuel excess)
No muffler, still has cat
Entire coolant system replaced with new parts
Custom 3" intake
New fuel filler line, was totally dryrot

++tons of Random.problems

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
With the engine fully warmed up and idling as good as it can, unplug the IAC wiring plug. If it keeps on running, turn the idle stop screw back till the engine is barely idling. When you unplug the wiring on the IAC, if the engine stalls, turn the idle stop screw in till the engine runs without the wiring plugged in. If you unplug the IAC and the engine keeps idling high, and you turn the idle stop screw all the way back and it's still idling high, you have a vacuum leak somewhere and it's sucking air into the engine.

Spewing coolant out of the radiator? Take the radiator cap off when it's cool, and check the brass washer right under the cap. See if it has a crack in it.

dangus582

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the suggestions. Will try those.

IAC procedure in your post - except "idling high" means "idle hunting" is identical to the last IAC now replaced

Don't think its the rad cap but I will check. Think it may be the seal on the reservoir.

Replaced some parts on the cold air filter system and the idle issue seems to be gradually improving. Is that a thing even with Odb1?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
These old systems do take several starts and stops to relearn when you change something.

dangus582

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Manual
Would it be more fruitful to just do the whole idle re-learn process again? Haven't got around to playing with the idle screw yet per your suggestion, had some other pressing things that needed tending to. Got some better seals on the cold air so if the radiator goes tits up, I'm not getting coolant/water in the intake. Also changed the PCV which looks like it was the original ('94🥴) and burped the radiator which got a buttload of bubbles out. Engine seems very happy with higher radiator pressure.

Anyway, started looking into doing what you'd recommended and I can't find the "idle screw" for the life of me; only the throttle adjustment screw. Is Finkle, Einhorn? (Are they the same)

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
It's the idle stop screw that the throttle rests against when you are not pushing on the pedal. And there is no use doing a "relearn" if you do not change anything. Once you change something, you can take the battery off, or just drive it for several days and let it figure it out by itself.

dangus582

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Manual
My B4000 absolutely wants to be named Officer Murphy. He lays down Murphy's law all day.

Still haven't got down to adjusting the idle, but I did find out why I'm running so lean on turnover.

EGR got carbon deposits, which started spewing smoke from spark plug #6. After changing EGR, smoke (exhaust) billowed from the EGR recirc tube. Scratched head for a few days.

Found that I completely misunderstood how the MAF/TB work for "unmetered" air, moved some of my intake vac lines around and the RPM increase to hard stall problem is almost gone.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals