• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

axle bracket help

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
any one have advise on welding a four link bracket back onto a jeep dana 30 axle?my brothers jeep had an incident involving a stump:black_eye:i cut a good bracket off another axle and was wondering about preheating with a torch so the area around the weld doesn't get brittle.i'll be using a big wire feed welder.i'm not a bad welder but i've never welded on axle tubes before(not a good idea unless you can't avoid it).thanks for any advise.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It's not a problem, just go ahead and weld it on. many guys on here have welded brackets onto axle tubes. I've always used a stick welder on axle tubes but a decent mig should yeild similar results, perhaps even better.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
got the bracket welded on yesterday. cranked it up and laid down a good bead.we used a cherokee bracket so we had to cut the caster eccentrics off the old bracket and weld those on also.the only thing i'm wondering now is if i should straiten the axle tube as its bent so the knuckle is about 3/16" back on the passenger side.i had to use a strait edge to find it as i wanted to be sure it was alright.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
should definately straighten the tube if possible. there is a thread in the ranger axles forum involving someone with a bent axle tube.

if the tube is bent, then the bearings are running out of alignment. this will only lead to worse problems further down the road.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
i should have posted the last question in a jeep forum i suppose.its a long way from the diff to the pass. side knuckle and there must be a gearhead who knows how much out the axle can be before the spider gears are bound and side loaded.i have access to a frame machine that can pull it out but i'de rather leave it alone if i can.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals