• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Auxilary Fog Light Help

Buckeye Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have some foglights that I have acquired. They are just the small cheap burners from wal-mart. I want to mount them right inside my grill of my 95 Ford Ranger. Here is the thing. I would love to wire them up so that when I switch my light controll from inside the truck to just the side marker lights the fog lights would also come on. Has anybody done this that could help me out here?

Thanks,
Tony

blaska

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just splice into the parking lamps

I would just splice into the praking lamps, use a test light to find out wich wire is the ground and postive.

Buckeye Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
so just wire the positive from the auxilary light into the positive of the parking light and the same with the ground wire?

edgeaholic (tm)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
4.0 S O H C
Transmission
Automatic
no, get a wiring kit with a fused relay and instructions with a seperate switch. the instructions will tell you to wire one of the wires to the headlamp. instead of doing this, wire it to the parking lamp. when using fog or driving lamps, you ALWAY'S want a fused switch and relay. now, to activate your fogs by just turning on your parking lamps, just keep your seperate fog lamp switch "on" then, when you turn your parking lamps on, the fogs turn on and when you switch off the parking lamps, the fogs turn off.

Buckeye Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the fog lights come with a wiring harness with an inline fuse and switch. so i should use this harness and just wire the positive fog light wire to the parking lamp?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
the fog lights come with a wiring harness with an inline fuse and switch. so i should use this harness and just wire the positive fog light wire to the parking lamp?
No, don't do that; you would be adding too much of a load to the existing parking light circuit. Follow edgeaholic's advice; he's dead on it.

Buckeye Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok yea that does make sense. pick up a harness at like autozone or some shit?

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Get a 5 pin Bosch realay and harness. Use the + out lead on the park lights for a trigger for the relay. On the 85 lead on your relay put a switch there to keep it indepently controllable while the park lights are on. NEVER put a switch on the high amperage lead of any accesory; it will burn the switch. Control the ground side and things always work better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals