• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Automatic transmission fluid level in 1993-1997 Rangers

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
I noticed after I leveled my 1997 that the transmission fluid was now low by about 1/3 a quart. The level in stock form was dead on the top hole on the dipstick tube.

For the past half year now ive been playing with transmission fluid levels in my automatic 5R55E transmissions to see if the level is off because of the rake 1993-1997 has. Replacing the 1/3 quart difference in the truck I leveled has returned very smooth almost car like shifts compared to my other 5R55E transmissions that are topped off with the body rake.

So I took it even farther and added that 1/3 quart to my daily driver which I did level but added another 4" to the rear from custom leaf packs. That transmission now shifts as smooth as my Jaguars. Accounting for the rake change I even added another 1/5 quart because of the 4" difference from rear to front in that truck vs the stock rake which is only 2". That other 1/5 quart helped overdrive engage much quicker and smoother than previously.

In a transmission fluid capacity is extremely important for pressure and proper engagement of the valvebody and other components. I don't want to think Ford engineers overlooked this but from myself playing around with my transmissions the past half year ive got to say that 1/3 quart missing after the truck is checked completely level body and surface parked on did make a dramatic difference in every one of my 1997 5R55E transmissions.

Just want to share this.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for sharing. What kind of trans fluid did you use?

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, I should have specified that all my transmissions and torque converters from the date of purchased are flushed by myself and Mercon V automatic transmission fluid is used to refill.

All the transmissions I tested this with were already running Mercon V.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Ok I was just curious if it was the fluid or the fluid level that was giving you better shifting.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals