• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Automatic Braking Mandated by Fed, 2029 deadline

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Just read an arrival in the NYTimes this morning.
All new cars are required to have automatic braking that can avoid a collision with another vehicle or pedestrian up to 65mph. Also required to begin slowing down in an attempt to avoid a collision up to 90mph.

This is supposedly much loftier goal then possible with current technology. not just a mandate to implement existing tech, but develop completely new tech.

The automakers seems concerned about the potential dangers caused by trying to anticipate and react to a potential collision at 90mph. Seeing as how the current systems work so poorly in even low speed situations I would agree.

Ps. This article was right next to another article about the federal governments concern that there are too many sensors and electronics in cars nowadays and that it is compromising people’s privacy and safety. The ability of people to track other people’s movements and locations via their car’s computers.

Great…… love it.
I already did not have any interest in buying a newer car, and this is not helping…..

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Theyve had that shit in certain semis for a while. Its a complete joke. It smashes brakes for everything from shadows, to headlight reflections, to people cutting you off on the freeway.

Not to mention on a icy road.

Google "freightliner collision mitigation"...youll get the idea

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I hear you on the sensors and the electronics. I don't like much of what is the 2019 and it isn't even the top of the line with the smart cruise, or whatever it's called. Looking back, I regret getting the Copilot 360. If I knew then what I know now, I would never have gotten it.

I think the push toward the braking thing is more toward getting vehicles to be self driving rather than safety. The safety thing is just a pretense.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I can tell you from experience that automatic braking systems are not ready for prime time any more than are self-driving cars. When I leased new cars as a Mazda employee, the system would apply the brakes in a curve because it detected a car in the neighboring lane. There's much more I could tell you, but I'll stop there. Mazda and Toyota share some tech, so that should say something about the state of the technology.

The real agenda is to eliminate private vehicles, not simply to mandate stuff like this. The easiest way to end most sales of new cars is to make them too expensive for most people to afford.

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
From my limited experience with "adaptive cruise", the problem with any "slow you down safely" tech is that it has to start acting so far in advance, it pretty much neuters your agency to drive around other cars.

Around other cars is the most dangerous place to be. I'm trying to pass slower drivers, stay out of the way of faster drivers, and move along. If the computer starts doing something I don't expect, now I'm not where I planned to be, wrestling with it, and ultimately less safe.

I agree with what's already been said: it only works if everyone's car is literally driving itself, all the way. In the meantime, I'd prefer drivers be held to a higher licensing standard than everone get electronic nannies that assume you're too stupid to drive.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
(Checks off keep ranger till i die box)

So glad for my ranger

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I wish that lawmakers, and people in general would realize the way to make our roads safer for pedestrians, and passengers is to just invest in the basic alternatives like public transit, rail, and biking infrastructure, and to STOP building these massive 8 lane arterial highways and McMansion suburbs.

Also to limit/regulate the size and weight of new vehicles particularly trucks and SUVs, especially as heavier and heavier vehicles are becoming the norm. Most crash infrastructure these days can't safely stop trucks like the Hummer EV, Cybertruck, and Rivian R1T. Between the automakers and the lawmakers, there's actual law to prevent and limit people driving smaller, safer, more affordable vehicles.

The car/oil/insurance mafia has such a grip on North America that in most places you NEED to drive, regardless of whether or not you live in an urban or rural place.

I love cars, I love driving, but it's so frustrating that I can't access public transit affordably to get out of town. When I visit downtown Toronto the area is basically terrorized by cars EVERYWHERE despite good public transit, dense urban areas have 4-6 lane high speed roads that are either blocked end to end by traffic, or have people just hauling ass over the speed limit.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
i wouldn't want to ride public transit here. i just ride my bike if i don't want to take a car

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
How long untill someone comes up with a "delete" system for this bs?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245ci
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2’ Leveling Kit
Tire Size
265/75
Just read an arrival in the NYTimes this morning.
All new cars are required to have automatic braking that can avoid a collision with another vehicle or pedestrian up to 65mph. Also required to begin slowing down in an attempt to avoid a collision up to 90mph.

This is supposedly much loftier goal then possible with current technology. not just a mandate to implement existing tech, but develop completely new tech.

The automakers seems concerned about the potential dangers caused by trying to anticipate and react to a potential collision at 90mph. Seeing as how the current systems work so poorly in even low speed situations I would agree.

Ps. This article was right next to another article about the federal governments concern that there are too many sensors and electronics in cars nowadays and that it is compromising people’s privacy and safety. The ability of people to track other people’s movements and locations via their car’s computers.

Great…… love it.
I already did not have any interest in buying a newer car, and this is not helping…..
nah, automatic breaking is for lazy people. Whatever happened to just driving? People say driving a modern car is fun…but your technically not even driving it, the car is doing most of the work and you’re just kinda existing in the driver seat.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Automatic braking is for people who aren't paying attention- for example, texting while driving. I hadn't thought about what it would do on an icy road but a sudden brake application on a slippery surface is a bad idea.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Plastidip the sensors and deal with the light?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Plastidip the sensors and deal with the light?
That would pry lock the brakes on cause it thinks youre gonna hit something.

My jeep has auto braking in reverse. I got snow on the sensors and couldnt back up but two feet at a time before it jammed the brakes and killed the go pedal

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The gov will move the deadline when they figure out it can't happen that quick.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals