• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone on here rebuild an FM146?

kodogtwh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
There are pretty obvious big snychros, and little synchros. They are easy to replace. I'm mainly having issues determining which spot the one 'thick" synchronizer ring goes. I didn't pay attention while disassembling, that's my own fault. I ended up using all the small synchronizers and reusing an old one for 5th & rev because the 'thick' one made the gear stack too long to install the retention ball & sleeve on the end of the main shaft. After all was said and done i realized: "That's stupid, i'm stupid, there's somewhere that the 'thick' ring goes, and i need to disassemble this thing again and find it."

So i've come here for answers. It's not specified in the rebuild kit or the service manual.

Addendum: I broke a chunk off the transmission case with my little 1/4in impact, thus rendering the entire transmission as scrap. Now i'm in need of a good condition used FM 146.

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'm guessing it's the reverse synchro or 1st? Is it missing teeth in several spots around the edge (reverse?) The 1st gear one pictured below looks thicker, not missing teeth. I don't remember, I should, I built a couple of these recently.

My book shows MIT-14H for reverse

MIT-14A for 5th

MIT-14B for 2nd

MIT-14C for 1st

MIT-14A for 3rd and 4th (above)

kodogtwh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
I'm guessing it's the reverse synchro or 1st? Is it missing teeth in several spots around the edge (reverse?) The 1st gear one pictured below looks thicker, not missing teeth. I don't remember, I should, I built a couple of these recently.

My book shows MIT-14H for reverse

MIT-14A for 5th

MIT-14B for 2nd

MIT-14C for 1st

MIT-14A for 3rd and 4th (above)
You got any for sale? 😅 I ended up Totalling out mine by breaking off the boss for the 3-4 detent ball plug.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You got any for sale? 😅 I ended up Totalling out mine by breaking off the boss for the 3-4 detent ball plug.
Oh dang… you broke that off the main case? I don’t think I have that… maybe you could get tig welded back together?

kodogtwh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Oh dang… you broke that off the main case? I don’t think I have that… maybe you could get tig welded back together?
I'm not gonna put my welder friend through the trouble of gluing some dirty, cast aluminum back together, over a transmission that's not worth that much. And I mean whole transmissions. I'm sick of the crap m5od I put in. Shifter keeps popping out of the gates leaving it stuck in random gears at times. Shifter bushings don't help.

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Just a dumb question…. Why not use a better trans? Something like the M5OD?

kodogtwh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Just a dumb question…. Why not use a better trans? Something like the M5OD?
Ive had all 3 of the most common 4x4 transmissions. 145, 146, and currently have an m5od. The Mitsubishi transmissions are lighter, shift better (IMO) and are no weaker than the Mazda. Plus I have an '87, which has a different floor, causing me to have to chop it up to get the m5od to fit. Not to mention how it's pretty easy to break aluminum shift forks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals