• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anybody,ever done a side to side leaf spring swap on a 2wd first gen ranger?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Potato/ potatoes. It's the same thing just said a different way and I already said I'm not interested in the explorer spring swap. Which honestly is the same or more work.
It is not the same thing. One way has springs mounted inside the frame and the other it is below the frame. Apples and oranges.

Nobody has suggested that you do an Explorer spring swap.

Chris86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
86 ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Not trying to snippy but I do understand where it can come off that way. I'm just not into talking around corners or beating the Bush. Just being open honest. I think the question has been clarified. You can only ask the same question in so many different ways. If nobody has any insight then nobody has any insight and it doesn't matter if you stand on your and and ask the same question in Swahili.

Chris86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
86 ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
It is not the same thing. One way has springs mounted inside the frame and the other it is below the frame. Apples and oranges.

Nobody has suggested that you do an Explorer spring swap.
Where and when does swapping sides or onboarding leaf springs have anything to do with attaching the springs under the frame?

Chris86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
86 ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
These two posts are in direct conflict with each other.

NOW I get what you're asking. I have not seen springs inboarded on a Ranger before but I suppose it's possible although you're going to run into clearance issues with your fuel tank and spare tire.

You could also run springs UNDER the frame like an Explorer but with stock springs that will most likely result in a lift of several inches. Another, better, option would be a 4 link and airbags or coilovers... what is the intended purpose of this truck? Street? Offroad? Just to tuck wider tires inside the wheel openings?
Here is the explorer spring reference

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
If no one answers now that you explained what you meant.... then odds are that no one has done it. At least no one who has been logged in today, might give it a week or so before concluding no one will help you. Not every member camps out on the forum all day..... it's only been about two hours since it was even clear what you were trying to do, at all.

I'd guess most people don't want to go to the trouble of moving the fuel tank, advantage or not.

Chris86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
86 ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
And the answer is a street truck that performs well at the drag strip.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I mentioned the Explorer specifically because of how the springs are mounted. I think you are confusing what I am saying with the common swap where you put Explorer springs on a Ranger to lift it an inch or two.

Moving your springs inward under the frame LIKE the Explorer springs are mounted will accomplish exactly what you want to do without running into clearance issues with your gas tank and other stuff. I repeat, I am NOT suggesting you put Explorer springs in your truck.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Doing it to gain tire and wheel clearance by moving the springs inboard.
Clvfrk.
You move the mounts and springs to inside of the frame rails instead of the outside of the frame rail, thereby opening up space for wider tires and wheels.
1607564269309.png
1607563922991.png

Clvfrk did this. Explorer style. So yes....use an explorer spring and hardware setup. Cake.

His truck is wicked. Ls swap. Very well executed.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I do love that truck, but at that point I'd just go 4 link or 2 link ladder bars and coils. :dunno:

67-72 chevy trucks had the greatest 2wd truck suspension ever to roll off the factory, I beem bars, coil spring and a panhard. Absolutely phenomenal suspension that barely needed anything to be track ready.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals