• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Another header swap ?

reef93

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
First off I have a 96 explorer engine. Our plan is to swap this into a 92 ranger. I have purchased the harwood manual and the swap doesnt look to terrible. My main question is am I going to be restricted to using the explorer manifolds because it seems the torque monster ones are not available. Or are there any other options?

EDIT: looks as if I can use the swap kit headers I have the 3 bar gt-40's

Last edited:

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

reef93

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Would I be better off buying the 88400's over the 89500's instead of buying the swap kit? I know the swap kit comes with the 500's but if its not worth it I will piece everything I need instead of buy stuff I dont.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not sure that group buy will include headers to fit the early chassis. CJ with an early model at another site spent weeks working with the originator of the TM sending them back and forth till they fit. If you have the smaller 156T bellhousing, sure think a good set of Tri-Y headers would be the best option.
Dave

reef93

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure that group buy will include headers to fit the early chassis. CJ with an early model at another site spent weeks working with the originator of the TM sending them back and forth till they fit. If you have the smaller 156T bellhousing, sure think a good set of Tri-Y headers would be the best option.
Dave
Well dad wanted a built Aod in it so I'm probably going to be limited to the headman choices or the explorer manifolds. I would rather have headers just trying to figure out which ones will be better

reef93

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone else have any experience between the two headman choices?

bearsrngr

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My vote would be the 88400s. I havn't had experiance with the89500s but I don't like the design of the RH header. It looks like it would be tight to the cross member as well as the starter.

Last edited:

reef93

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My vote would be the 88400s. I havn't had experince with the89500s but I don't like the design of the RH header. It looks like it would be tight to the cross member as well as the starter.
Yeah looks like the 400's is the route we are going to go. Thanks for the reply!:icon_thumby:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 88400's were never intended to go on an engine with a dipstick in the block. If you still have the steel tube it is tight but will work (did for me anyway) the braided ones like a Lokar are too thick and get pinched to the point they wipe the oil off.

The passenger side will point straight at the firewall if you don't have a bodylift. You might be able to get it to work but it will be tight. I had to "modify" the heatshield with a porta-power because it rattled on the exhaust.

There are a bunch of pics of different options here:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95640

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals