• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

An observation....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Better then an old CJ? Thatd be interesting to see.

If we are talking about anything post chrysler...then yes i could see it.
Older CJ (CJ2/3) for sure, I don't think they were that overbuilt to start with as they were kind of a 4cyl go-cart. CJ5/7 I think could be had a 44 for the front so that may be close. I have never been in a D44 or a LC for that matter so I won't say how they really compare that way. I was watching this the other day and was amazed at the beef they put into an SUV not much bigger than an Explorer. Solid front axle? Real wheel bearings? Big wheel bearings? Massive spindle with lots of room between big wheel bearings? Kingpins? Floating rear axle? And don't forget the I6 diesel and 5 speed trans...

The best Explorer had spindles like this, coming off a D35 swap I was amazed at how big the spindles are on the LC:

That LC is a 1997 model, Explorer was well into torsion bars and unit front wheel bearings by then. I don't know if they still make SUV's like that today but the truck I posted a picture of is still very much in production and I would assume is built similar if not heavier. So while at worst (IMO) they may be similar to old US iron... you can still buy them new (and of course late model used) in most of the world. Your shopping options are not from a collector or a pasture like old US iron.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Older CJ (CJ2/3) for sure, I don't think they were that overbuilt to start with as they were kind of a 4cyl go-cart. CJ5/7 I think could be had a 44 for the front so that may be close. I have never been in a D44 or a LC for that matter so I won't say how they really compare that way. I was watching this the other day and was amazed at the beef they put into an SUV not much bigger than an Explorer. Solid front axle? Real wheel bearings? Big wheel bearings? Massive spindle with lots of room between big wheel bearings? Kingpins? Floating rear axle? And don't forget the I6 diesel and 5 speed trans...

The best Explorer had spindles like this, coming off a D35 swap I was amazed at how big the spindles are on the LC:

That LC is a 1997 model, Explorer was well into torsion bars and unit front wheel bearings by then. I don't know if they still make SUV's like that today but the truck I posted a picture of is still very much in production and I would assume is built similar if not heavier. So while at worst (IMO) they may be similar to old US iron... you can still buy them new (and of course late model used) in most of the world. Your shopping options are not from a collector or a pasture like old US iron.
Those are pretty massive for the things realitive size.

I was thinking along the CJ5/7 but i might have to eat those words if a contest ever came about.

Broo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
This is exactly the reason why I'm not buying a modern truck. Sure, they are comfortable tow beasts, but the bed is only for looks.

Very often, I seen big modern full sizes with an empty bed towing a low trailer full of stuff that could easily fit in the truck's bed, but since it's hard to reach, owners use small trailers. Might as well get a SUV and gain back the useless bed space. But I guess it wouldn't look "manly" enough for the typical full size truck buyer.

The only times I use a trailer is when what I have to carry doesn't fit in my Ranger's bed, which doesn't happen often.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
This is exactly the reason why I'm not buying a modern truck. Sure, they are comfortable tow beasts, but the bed is only for looks.

Very often, I seen big modern full sizes with an empty bed towing a low trailer full of stuff that could easily fit in the truck's bed, but since it's hard to reach, owners use small trailers. Might as well get a SUV and gain back the useless bed space. But I guess it wouldn't look "manly" enough for the typical full size truck buyer.

The only times I use a trailer is when what I have to carry doesn't fit in my Ranger's bed, which doesn't happen often.
My next fullsize will be an 8ft bed no matter how hard i gotta look, ill just deal with the stupid bedsides. I use my trucks to much.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Most SUVs these days are unit body frames with AWD and cargo space for the size of the vehicle is wanting. You have to get into a Tahoe/4Runner or Suburban/Expedition to get 4X4 and body on frame. This is prt of the reason I got the 2019 Ranger. Sure, for hauling it will be found wanting but cargo space is so much better than most SUVs for people who want to do more than just drive to a State Park camp ground. I have a utility trailer if I need it or the 2011 if I don’t need to haul the whole famn Damily.

It comes down to what people need and what they want to do as to what they go with. I volunteer for Search and Rescue, so need 4X4 and I want something as close to trail worthy as a Jeep as I can get without dealing with the down sides of owing a Jeep.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Besides being ridiculously high I thought the new ranger beds were still the standard 6 foot like the old rangers?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Besides being ridiculously high I thought the new ranger beds were still the standard 6 foot like the old rangers?
Only the Super Cab models. The Super Crew models have a 5 foot bed.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
That's gayer than two dudes in a bathtub playing hide the loofa!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
But not as gay as a nekkid cab swap. LOL

I guess they wanted to keep the length the same so it would fit in the average garage. If they kept the bed at 6 foot, it wouldn't fit in mine. There is just enough room to squeeze past with the door closed.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
But not as gay as a nekkid cab swap. LOL

I guess they wanted to keep the length the same so it would fit in the average garage. If they kept the bed at 6 foot, it wouldn't fit in mine. There is just enough room to squeeze past with the door closed.
The wheel base stayed the same too although the frame is different.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
You realize I now have that picture burned into my widdle bwain lobes.
Impossible to get to go away !!!
;missingteeth;
Grumpaw

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Most SUVs these days are unit body frames with AWD and cargo space for the size of the vehicle is wanting. You have to get into a Tahoe/4Runner or Suburban/Expedition to get 4X4 and body on frame. This is prt of the reason I got the 2019 Ranger. Sure, for hauling it will be found wanting but cargo space is so much better than most SUVs for people who want to do more than just drive to a State Park camp ground. I have a utility trailer if I need it or the 2011 if I don’t need to haul the whole famn Damily.

It comes down to what people need and what they want to do as to what they go with. I volunteer for Search and Rescue, so need 4X4 and I want something as close to trail worthy as a Jeep as I can get without dealing with the down sides of owing a Jeep.
My biggest issue with the new expeditions are the IRS.

I loved my 2 1st gen ones i had. Pretty capable off road and looked better then the later ones.

Arnt the durangos body on frame?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The new Durangos look crossoverish, thankfully I have never been under one.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals