• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Alternator bracket help

eduardo95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 I4
Transmission
Manual
I'm currently finishing an overhaul on my 88 ranger. It's a 2.3 with the distributor ignition. I can't seem to remember how the alternator bolts up and can't seem to find any pictures online. Can anyone upload some pictures if y'all have any. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The alternator uses a two part bracket...the smaller one bolts to the head and is about the size of your hand...uses three bolts (of different lengths)...the lower part is a metal bracket with a slight curve in it and a slot that allows the bolt to be tightened and loosened to change the belt. The lower bracket has three bolts also and it is fastened to the block of the engine.

The reason I know this is I have an 88 2.3 that was a 2.0 originally and they both use the same brackets (up to 1991 or 1992 before it was changed I believe).

This is an image of a parts diagram showing the upper bracket...and you can see the tip of the lower bracket also...sorry, it's all I've got and I obtained this to find the part number so I could try to order the upper bracket (mine is broken but still works).

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/akwarian8/New%20Truck%20Pics/New%202013/Altbracket_zpsda695b55.jpg

There is another way that will work also...use the bracket from a 1990 or similar Mustang 2.3...it is also two parts with the top part being similar to the one in the above diagram but the alternator is actually reversed (hung upside down)...or a similar but slightly different alternator can be used (the connectors are the same as the Ranger).

The problem with the Mustang brackets is they used a serpentine belt that also ran over the power steering and air conditioning units (if so equipped) so you would have to use a shorter belt if you go that route.

I do have the Mustang bracket (both pieces) but I did not use them because I managed to get the broken bracket to work (still looking for a replacement upper). If you want to see a picture of that I can take one but it may take me a day or two because I think it got buried in the garage during a recent shuffle of things.

Hope that helps!

EDIT:

Found this...it shows the alternator mounted...can't really see the bracket too well, but the top is visible and part of the bottom...

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/akwarian8/IMG-20130116-00255_zpsa6ac2cce.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals