• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Alternatives for Door Panel and Console Fabric

snakebit95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2009 Ranger, and have finally determined that the door panel fabric and console is causing a severe rash / breakout on my under-forearms and elbows from resting them on it. It took me a while to figure it out. Did Ford offer leather panels or center consoles that I could do a swap with? Anybody experienced the same reaction from the fabric? The fabric actually feels rather abrasive, and you can actually see where skin particles from my elbows are trapped in the console and door panel fabric. Rough stuff in my opinion.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Wear clothes with sleeves.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You could fatmat everything and look ghetto :icon_thumby:

snakebit95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
LOL......I figured I would get the obvious answers such as wear long sleeves or do not rest your arms on the door panels / console. Thanks guys......I knew I could count on you.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
LOL......I figured I would get the obvious answers such as wear long sleeves or do not rest your arms on the door panels / console. Thanks guys......I knew I could count on you.
:icon_cheers: YOU CAN ALWAYS DEPEND ON US... :D

But in all seriousness, if it is seriously bothering you that bad, you may want to take the door panel off completely for now. Untill you can get it re-upholsterd like magna said.

also, try maybe (you need to ask someone else first) shaving it down with a razor. It might work, But I dont know how it would look.

Last edited:

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Not trying to be a smart ass =>

But have you tried cleaning the door with a mild cleaner there might be something on the door thats unrelated to the doors covering.

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know if leather door panels or consoles have ever been offered, but you should be able to get some made for a reasonable price.

Find a tack shop or shoe repair place and try there.

AceRock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have the same problem....my 2000 ranger had vinyl on the door panel instead of cloth....I'm sure you can go to the dealer and just buy those inserts and then remove the door panels and install them....they were much better then this cloth stuff.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I know Rangers came with vinyl door panel insert things (above the armrest, but below the window), and I'm pretty sure they make center consoles with vinyl tops as well (or at least in the style I have)

fordmandan87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87/92/97/11
Make / Model
Ford×3/Freightl
Engine Size
/5.0/4.0/7.3/DD15
Transmission
Manual
go back to the dealer and see what they can do for ya

spikeymike03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC V6, AEM Brute Force cold air intake,
Transmission
Automatic
redo your own interior!!!

FIRST OFF! you guys with the stupid remarks about not putting your arm on the arm rest or making a metal door have to much time on your hands and need to quit wasting ours and maybe should use this advice to make YOUR ranger just a little bit sweeter! THANKS

I hated the color of the upholstery on my door panels and center console so this is what I did:

go to your local fabric wharehouse and find a good fabric that will last and won't stain easily and won't chaffe your arm if that's a problem (I bought some flat black stretchy vinyl). also get a can of spray adhesive. and a hot glue gun with hi-temp glue sticks.

fabric $8
spray glue $5
upholstery guy $10
I had the hot glue
so basically I redid my interior from tan to black for $23 bucks

For the doors:
take off your door panel and you'll notice that there are no screws to take off the upholstered panel they are plastic welded so you will need to drill out the melted plastic spots. (I had leather so I just sprayed the adhesive right over the leather) you might need to pull off the fabric that rubs your arm and you hate so much and in that case you need to grab some thin foam from that fabric store as well. if you tore off the fabric then use it a a template to cut the new fabric. glue it all on wrap it tight and staple it or use a hi temp hot glue gun instead of staples but thats a pain in the butt.
you will need a hi-temp hot glue gun to put the fabric panel back on the door panel where they plastic welded it just glue it back on

for the center console:
just unscrew the lid and take the black cover off the bottom and you'll see the staples holding on the fabric. I just ripped out the staples and used the fabric as a template for the new fabric. (it is 2 peices and has a little seam the needs to be sewn with a sewing machine but I just busted it out over at my moms place and I've never used a sewing machine before in my life, good luck with that) use a little spray adhesive wrap it up tight and tack it with some staples. I have to admit that I cheated on this step I took my center console piece to an upholstery shop because I couldn't find staples strong enough to go into the plastic on the console BUT it was only $10 bucks and it looked sick and if you have problems with that little sewing part just bring it all cut out and ready for the upholstery guy to sew in real quick and it will be WAY WAY cheaper than if you just had them do all the work

I also took my airbag out and wrapped it with black fabric

hope this helps make you a little more comfortable driving your ranger cause I LOVE driving mine and it looks SICK!!!!

hopefully I'll have some pics up on here soon but this is my first time posting to this site! THANKS actually you should be thanking me! LOL

patatewz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
pic pic pic pic my dog rub my cloth frabric on my doors.......... shit! need to see if i can repair its by myselft!

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Has other fabrics caused you problems ?

If Not have you seen a Doctor about this, maybe it isn't the fabric, maybe you have developed (ing) an allergy.
If you are then maybe a pill or shot will eliminate it and you will not have to change it.

IMHO... check some local shops about reupholstering before going to Ford.
Yes Ford has panels and they will probably snap in place but they will be pricey.
Local Upholstering Shops should be cheaper and if you are willing to do the take apart and put together stuff they can be down right cheap.

Luck,

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals