• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

All terrains?

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no, new keys aren't the same as cranking... it's closer to getting longer bolts and screwing them in to have the same number of threads left over as the old bolts... although it does more or less achieve the same thing (with the exception of being able to crank them farther with the new keys or longer bolts) and of course there is 1 thing you get with the leveling kit that you don't get with the other two options... the hefty price tag!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no, new keys aren't the same as cranking... it's closer to getting longer bolts and screwing them in to have the same number of threads left over as the old bolts... although it does more or less achieve the same thing (with the exception of being able to crank them farther with the new keys or longer bolts) and of course there is 1 thing you get with the leveling kit that you don't get with the other two options... the hefty price tag!
For all practicality it is the same as cranking the torsion bars.

It does the same things to the front suspension as a crank only have more adjustment left when you are done.

If you want to see something that looks horribly wrong, check out a truck where the guy cranked them too much and the increased stress snapped a torsion bar.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For all practicality it is the same as cranking the torsion bars.

It does the same things to the front suspension as a crank only have more adjustment left when you are done.

If you want to see something that looks horribly wrong, check out a truck where the guy cranked them too much and the increased stress snapped a torsion bar.
yes i realize, i'm just playing around...

that picture sounds very specific, can you supply pics?

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Hey, just thought i'd chime in since alot of hatin on the Grabber's is going on. I had BFG's for a couple years, and liked them, so I'm not biased. I now own the General Grabber AT/2's, just little guys, 27/9.5 on 14 inch wheels. These now have 40,000 miles on them and have a little over half tread left and I put them through alot. 40,000 is when my BFG's were showing belts, and the BFG's were my babies that I treated nice.

The grabbers do good on any surface, especially deep snow. Ice is iffy, just like any other AT, in mud they do better than most all terrains. And they LOVE rocks and dirt and SPEED.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey, just thought i'd chime in since alot of hatin on the Grabber's is going on. I had BFG's for a couple years, and liked them, so I'm not biased. I now own the General Grabber AT/2's, just little guys, 27/9.5 on 14 inch wheels. These now have 40,000 miles on them and have a little over half tread left and I put them through alot. 40,000 is when my BFG's were showing belts, and the BFG's were my babies that I treated nice.

The grabbers do good on any surface, especially deep snow. Ice is iffy, just like any other AT, in mud they do better than most all terrains. And they LOVE rocks and dirt and SPEED.
what the hell were you doing with your bfg's that they only lasted 40 000? i've got about 50-55000 miles on mine and there is still TONNES of tread left

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes i realize, i'm just playing around...

that picture sounds very specific, can you supply pics?
A couple forum versions ago I could have... I don't have any offhand though. They are intended to work best at a certain angle, the more you crank the more the angle changes and more stress you put on them.

Last edited:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A couple forum versions ago I could have... I don't have any offhand though. They are intended to work best at a certain angle, the more you crank the more the angle changes and more stress you put on them.
of course they are it's the same kind of deal as a pinion angle

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
my BFG's gave me about 80k miles. I loved them, they were on my expedition. I never really had traction problems at all with them. However, reading about the new Grabbers ahs really peaked my interest. The most recent peterson's article claims they ran them up to 80 without balancing and no vibrations. They look awesome and apparently grab awesome. Id like to at least try them out.

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
Hmmmm..I'm still trying to decide between the BFG KOs and the Goodyear Duratracs for my B2. I'm leaning towards the Duratracs now:icon_confused:

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
I like my general grabbers a lot. Ive got 45 thousand miles on mine and they still have another good couple years.

Wish I would have got a little bigger size, they would probably have even more life left.

fix_or_repair_daily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Chevy,Satu
Engine Size
2.3, 5.7, 1.9
Transmission
Manual
+3 on the Treadwrights. We have them in the 31 10.5 15 BFG A/T pattern on our pos S10 and they do pretty well. Definitely a better value to me.

Josh

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are so many different tires to pick from and they are not cheap. I'm not a mudder or off-roader, my 4x4 ends up being the Winter DD, back and forth to work when I did. Out on the lakes on unplowed lanes to visit friends ice fishing. My choice has always been the BFG TKO's, sure there might be better but I've been happy with them, always got good wear from them.
Dave of the Nord

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Wow... a lot of people seem to have a real love for BFGs....

I don't.

Sure, the tread lasts near forever on RBVs. But I haven't been impressed with their abilities. And, IMHO, the tread pattern is too tight.

The last set of AT tires I had on my Ranger were Sport King Steel Radial AT tires in 235/75/15. I'd say they made it about 45-50k miles before being shot. They did everything I ever asked of them during that time, including being in mud, sand, snow, ice, hardpack snow, dirt, loose gravel, and the like.... all while on a 2wd with an open rear diff. Matter of fact... I can't recall ever being stuck with those tires. I can't say the same for the stock POS tires that came on the truck or any of the other tires that I tried on it (although I will say that I forgive the mud tires I had on for awhile for being stuck.... I shouldn't have been where I was, a lifted Chevy 2500 4x4 got stuck just getting back to me, took a Ford backhoe to extract me).

I wanted to run the same tires on my F-150 but had trouble finding them when I needed a set. Settled for some Nexen ATII tires that I wasn't completely satisfied with the tread design, but they've proven to be quite capable. I ran two different kinds of AT tires before that on my F-150 and both were worthless (BFG knock-off and a knock off of the old Remington tires), in the winter I needed 4x4 to go anywhere. With the Nexen tires, I spent a lot of time riding around in the winter in 2wd. And with the addition of a rear locker before last winter, I almost never used 4x4.

When I look for an AT tire, I consider the design of the tread pattern (can't really tell you any particular feature, just sort of a judgement call), then I jam my fingers down in the tread in a couple spots to see if my fingertips will hit bottom or not (I have somewhat large hands, not trying to brag). If I'm iffy on the tread pattern and can't get my fingers in the tread, I pass on it, it will not have enough bite to suit me.

I work construction, have for a number of years now. Getting off the road is often a requirement, and doing minimal damage there is usually preferred. An open tread pattern seems to do well for not digging big holes without going anywhere, thus my choice.

A contractor that I've worked with some over the years loves BFG tires, but often when he gets off the hard surfaces and into dirt or grass, they spin. Nothing like turfing a yard to irritate a homeowner. Usually doesn't take much, wet grass and a slight slope will do it, it seems. The more open tread patterns I run don't seem to do the damage that his does.

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
I hate BFG's. Worst tires I have ever run as they never stay in ballance. Be prepared to have your truck shake if you buy them. Go Big-O, They will last forever and they don't give a hoot if you tear one up, Free replacement!

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
duratracs! Mud/AT hyhbrid.... the ultimate tire! Not only that but mine have wore like iron!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals