• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Air shocks?

White94Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey guys, im planning out my sas and im wondering if air shocks would be safe/street legal, i know balistic has the hybrid coilover air shock but i wouldnt know if it safe to run as a daily. i also email dangeranger 01 who has done it but he hasnt got back to me yet so im asking for all of your opinions.
the plan for my truck is to be a great daily driver and a great off road truck on weekends but still can cruze down the highway. mt trucks a standard cab short box, and im planning on putting a full width dana 44 from a dodge truck and hopfully a 5.0 swap before all the suspentiion starts going in. hopfully that info helps you with your opinions. thanks guys - Dustin

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
i don't see why there would be a problem with them. they'd be no less street legal than a coil over or the SAS. they'd be no more dangerous than any other shock. a buddy of mine ran them on the front of his truck as a secondary shock to his coil over for more dampening and had 0 problems with them.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
shocks aren't required on any vehicle, they simply make your truck not bounce all over the place... air shocks would be fine on the road, provided you don't overload the pressure or weight they are rated for...

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Kyle M's been running them a while with no real issues, and I have a set of 16 x 2.5" Fox Air Shocks sitting in the pile of parts for my build here. It'll be a while before I get a chance to give you any test run info though....

White94Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is that all you will be running wahlstrom? like just thosse air shocks and no coils in the front? or will thos just replace your current shock absorbers? thanks - Dustin

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh dude, shocks are not the same as springs!! you can't run "just shocks"... you have to have a "spring" of some sort be it air bags or hydros, or coils, or coil overs (which is what you are probably thinking) or leaf springs

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My buddy runs fox air shocks on his Samurai and although he gets great flex on the trail he says that they dont rebound like a coil over. He gets mad body roll on the street when he goes around a corner and the body ends up just kind of stuck that way until he turns the opposite way. He could fix it that by putting more nitrogen in them but then they would be stiff on the trail. Any way I wouldnt run them on a daily driver. just my 2cents.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
It all comes down to tuning. you'll need to charge them after the truck is "finished" and fully loaded before you start tuning. Air shocks are a lot more sensitive to load changes than a traditional spring. Once you've got the tune down it should eliminate the slow rebound while still flexing like mad.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I have Fox 2.0 air shocks on the front and coilovers on the back of my Suby powered dune buggy. I am very happy with them over the factory torsion springs. They are tunable and rebuildable. However, they do have some odd quirks. They will not always return to the standard ride hieght after a jump or hard corner and the tuning can be pretty sensitive. I would be very interested how well they would work on a heavy Ranger or B2.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh dude, shocks are not the same as springs!! you can't run "just shocks"... you have to have a "spring" of some sort be it air bags or hydros, or coils, or coil overs (which is what you are probably thinking) or leaf springs
Actually false, he is asking about AIR SHOCKS which are charged with nitrogen and do hold up a vehicle

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
care to give me some more information? i've used air shocks before, but they are just a regular shock, with an adjustable pre-load essentially... they don't support the vehicle...

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals