• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Advice on where/brand to go with for ball joints/bushings?

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I read up online, and obviously Moog has good reviews on ball joints. I did some searching and found a site called www.proforged.com. For 38.99 it seems like a good deal and they say 1 million mile warranty. I'm between those 2 for ball joints, but proforged doesn't specify upper or lower, and Moog are 2 different SKU #'s for upper and lower, so I'm wondering is the proforged will fit top and bottom.

Then I wanna replace bushings for upper and lower control arms. I was thinking energy suspension. I'm also worried about the torsion bars and if they will give me problems getting lower control arm back in place? Any advice appreciated.
Maybe while I'm doing this I can see about getting that seized torsion bar bolt out and lift my front end about 1-2 inches so it doesn't look 3 inches higher in the rear.
Thanks in advance for any advice tips on torsion bar and if it'll cause me problems. I've read that if I live in the so called "Salt Belt" I'm fighting a loosing battle on the torsion bars, as far as unseizibg the bolt or removing bar from lower control arm if I have to. Some say I'm better off getting new lower control arms.

Last edited:

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
I buy my moog stuff from rockauto.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Alright I'll check them out. Thnx

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone see a problem switching to a one piece upper control arm for passenger side instead of the adjustable one that is currently installed? Just thinking about that thing...

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
don't really know much of ifs but i would think that the adjustable upper control arms are for alignment purposes.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ya that was my only worry. I know 2wd uses one piece with the coil suspension. I'm just hoping without disconnecting torsion bar that it isn't gonna give me too big of a problem popping lower control arm back into position to bolt in after doing bushings.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
And I noticed this morning I've eaten through a couple wires at full turn with my tires. I'll have to friggin splice new ones in as it's a really long wire to fully replace.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
They seem really good. I sent in a request for price and depending what they charge for 4 BJ's, ill see. I mean my truck isn't very hardcore but I do love to jump train tracks lol. I was almost considering upper and lower control arms but the prices turned me away, then again for bushings and ball joints it's only like 40 more with a control arm.

ufgators68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Automatic
I just replaced all 4 ball joints, on my 01, today and I went with all Moog parts. I tried the ebay specials last year and that is all they lasted... one year.

I went through a site called ebates.com and saved $80 and got free 3 day shipping.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ya so I went to ebates and found nothing on ball joints, but thanks for the idea.

ufgators68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Automatic
Ya so I went to ebates and found nothing on ball joints, but thanks for the idea.
You search for part stores. Seriously, it works.

I got my parts through Advance Auto. Started out at $350 and paid $280 at checkout. Plus, i'll get 6% back to my paypal account.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Nice. I stay away from that store by me. If I go to it, I go to one in a diff city. They hire people based off if they speak Spanish, not if they know about vehicles.
I usually hit up Napa now. I trust them since a couple bad experiences with AAP.

Last edited:

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
After looking into serious parts to the cheapest, I went to NAPA and put my order in. I ordered upper control arms with ball joints and bushings on them. I also ordered bushings and ball joints for lower control arm. I decided against a new lower control arm as mine is in ok condition so I'll just replace connecting parts, plus I don't wanna deal with taking out the torsion bar.
And final price is....

$234.xx

Last edited:

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Now to plan a day to play doctor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals