• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Adding Weight To the Bed For Winter Traction

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Seems I use to just shovel some snow in it... if that wasn't enough... I would get a tire spinning in first gear... get out and start pushing. When it found some traction... run like mad to jump back in the driver seat.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Seems I use to just shovel some snow in it... if that wasn't enough... I would get a tire spinning in first gear... get out and start pushing. When it found some traction... run like mad to jump back in the driver seat.
uncle Gump
CA99B41C-5D62-496B-B19B-17B95056A78C.gif

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I remember that day well... a true butt pucker moment!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I literally did something like that in my old cavalier. I hit the brakes to slow down coming around a corner on a steep hill and it locked up, abs did nothing. I must have skid for 50 yards, couldn't stop, couldn't steer, heading right for a brand new mustang. At the last second I threw it in reverse and slammed on the gas. I stopped about an a foot short of smashing into the mustang. I had really terrible liability insurance at the time, I would have been screwed if I hit that thing.

When it was over I found out the guy in the mustang was actually stuck and had been trying to get out of the way but couldn't move. We both got out and practically hugged each other lol.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
I find it's best to put the weight right behind the cab on my Ranger.

I did this back in 1985 in my 2wd GMC S-15..... that was a long time ago... I guess I just forget how advantageous it was.

PS: Back then I ran the skinny factory tires and wheels in the snow... and kept the Cragars in the garage.

View attachment 52755
If you drove one of those in the winter, by Spring of '86 there was just few plastic bits, 4 tires and pile of ferrous oxide! :D

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
If you drove one of those in the winter, by Spring of '86 there was just few plastic bits, 4 tires and pile of ferrous oxide! :D
We lived in Ohio, and I had it undercoated at Ziebart with a lifetime yearly re-application when I 1st bought the truck. Every year they inspected the truck, added more undercoat and waxed / buffed detailed the truck at no charge. They did a great job, year after year after year.

In 1993 I sold the truck. It had some rust bubbles just starting to show on the drivers side rocker panel.

It was my daily driver and had 130,000 miles when I sold it. Mostly interstate driving.

But people who didn't get the undercoating... I agree with your post. They rusted out pretty quick.

Contrast that to my 02 Tacoma TRD 4x4 that I sold to buy my 2019 Ranger. 17 year old truck, no body rust and 175,000 miles.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
When I had Rangers I built a box out of 2x4's to hold sandbags over the axle. 2x4's in front and behind the wheelwells all the way across the bed and two more 2x4's next to the wheelwells screwed in to connect them. Kept the sandbags from sliding around. Sport Tracs carry more weight over the rear and extra weight isn't necessary.
Biggest thing is tires though. If you live someplace where you get a crap-ton of snow and ice just get a set of four dedicated snow tires for the winter like Blizzaks. Been running them on the wife's cars for 15 years and she won't roll on anything else. Vastly safer in bad weather and your other tires will last longer so it ends up not really costing any more.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I have dedicated winter tires on everything now, last winter the hhr only had them on the front, I finally got 2 more rims and yesterday got 2 more so it has winter tires on all 4, the back can pass the front on a front-drive. The ranger has blizzacks, the escape has arctic claws and the hhr runs summito ice edge. The blizzacks I bought used on rims, great tread but according to the date code they are 10 years old, tend to break loose and spin on wet pavement, I think this is the last year for these tires, the ranger doesnt see much winter driving as I like to keep it out of the salt, I like to have it ready though as a backup, if theres a lot of snow Id rather have it out then the car. I’ll have to put some fresh rubber on it before next winter. The escape seems to go through anything (so far) Ive really been impressed with it so far.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I usually run 2 or 3 5-gal buckets full of sand for weight, but now with the steel flatbed on its heavy enough to not have to bother.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
I have dedicated winter tires on everything now, last winter the hhr only had them on the front, I finally got 2 more rims and yesterday got 2 more so it has winter tires on all 4, the back can pass the front on a front-drive. The ranger has blizzacks, the escape has arctic claws and the hhr runs summito ice edge. The blizzacks I bought used on rims, great tread but according to the date code they are 10 years old, tend to break loose and spin on wet pavement, I think this is the last year for these tires, the ranger doesnt see much winter driving as I like to keep it out of the salt, I like to have it ready though as a backup, if theres a lot of snow Id rather have it out then the car. I’ll have to put some fresh rubber on it before next winter. The escape seems to go through anything (so far) Ive really been impressed with it so far.
I have Arctic Claws on my daughter's Fiesta, they seem to do well and don't cost a ton. The Jeep Wrangler she used to have came with Firestone Wintermasters, two were pretty worn so I got two new ones, they did well and cost less than Blizzaks. If someone is on a tight budget I'd recommend the Arctic Claws or Wintermasters without hesitation.

Firestone makes Wintermasters in the OE size for the new Ranger.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have Mastercraft Courser MSR (Owned by Cooper) tires on my 2019. So far they seem to be pretty good. I haven't added weight to the truck but it's a Supercrew, which moves weight aft, and it has a fiberglass cap that adds weight. So far, weight doesn't seem to be needed as a result.

The 2011 has Kelly Snowtrakker ST/2 tires (owned by Goodyear) that have also been very good. That also has a fiberglass cap and added weight from a wooden platform and gear stored under the platform. It did need weight added that the gear and platform took care of.

It seems that if you have the Supercab, you will need weight. With the Supercrew, maybe not but it won't hurt.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
I have Mastercraft Courser MSR (Owned by Cooper) tires on my 2019.
Half of Beaver County rolls on Mastercrafts. My AXT's are essentially Cooper A/T3's which are a highly-rated all-terrain. I had Mastercraft HSX's before that are more of an all-season tire but they were cheap and I was on unemployment. Wasn't happy with their winter performance even with 4wd.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Half of Beaver County rolls on Mastercrafts. My AXT's are essentially Cooper A/T3's which are a highly-rated all-terrain. I had Mastercraft HSX's before that are more of an all-season tire but they were cheap and I was on unemployment. Wasn't happy with their winter performance even with 4wd.
When it comes to the Mastercraft, I like the tread pattern better than the Cooper offering. Not that it mattered, Center Exit Tire only had Mastercraft in the size the 2019 needs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals