• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Adding modern gadgets

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I’m sure doing these kind of things would be quite expensive, but has anyone tried adding modern factory tech to their old vehicles? I briefly priced backup sensors and they’re like $100 a pop.

things like blind spot, parking sensors, radar cruise, proximity key/ push button start (with actual security involved), 4 corner tpms, auto wipers, etc.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I haven't seen much of that.

Rearview mirror with compass and temperature is pretty easy. Adding a Bluetooth enabled data screen for navigation, backup camera, music and hands free telephone calls is fairly common. It can even be done in a single Din head unit cavity. Remote start/ pushbutton start has been done. The rest of what you mentioned could be cool. If you do it, please share project info and pictures.

Many of us who enjoy these older vehicles do so because of the simplicity. But don't let naysayers deter you. If it makes you happy and gives you the truck you want, do it.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I haven't seen much of that.

Rearview mirror with compass and temperature is pretty easy. Adding a Bluetooth enabled data screen for navigation, backup camera, music and hands free telephone calls is fairly common. It can even be done in a single Din head unit cavity. Remote start/ pushbutton start has been done. The rest of what you mentioned could be cool. If you do it, please share project info and pictures.

Many of us who enjoy these older vehicles do so because of the simplicity. But don't let naysayers deter you. If it makes you happy and gives you the truck you want, do it.
I thought of it cause this truck is about as hard as a Camaro to see out of for me. I’m pretty oversized sitting in it tho- have to kind of duck to see out the back or over shoulder… and have to eat the steering wheel to see under the rear view mirror when making right turns. The B pillar (single cab) makes the left side very blind. And I can hardly turn around to look straight back when backing. It’s the strangest thing to have a truck so small, yet so hard to see out of. I need to install my blind spot mirrors.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Blind spot mirrors are a big help. They make it so you don't even have to turn your head to see if anyone is next to you. I see vehicles in the blind spot mirrors and my peripheral vision simultaneously. I have them on all of my vehicles.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do you have your mirrors set correctly? If you see the side of your vehicle in your mirror then they are incorrect! The mirror should be showing the lane beside you... When it's set correctly you should see a vehicle disappear from your windshield mirror as it appears in your side mirror.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Do you have your mirrors set correctly? If you see the side of your vehicle in your mirror then they are incorrect! The mirror should be showing the lane beside you... When it's set correctly you should see a vehicle disappear from your windshield mirror as it appears in your side mirror.
Grape Ape.....
Needs custom roof

Mirrors don't work confined in cab.

Cause.....Grape Ape

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I tried that a while back. Not being able to see the corner of my vehicle freaked me out, especially backing up (I don't look over my shoulder when I'm backing up, I use my outside mirrors.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It does take getting used to, and the backing up can be a pain unless you have remote mirrors.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It does take getting used to, and the backing up can be a pain unless you have remote mirrors.
The only way I could do it would be to adjust my mirrors so that the corner of my car is JUST outside the inner edge of the mirror. I just have to remember that it's *there*, and with my memory......

One thing I have never understood: I look over my left shoulder (in ANY vehicle), most of what I see is "B" pillar. I look over my right shoulder, I see out the side windows. Yet, the convex mirror is on the RIGHT side of the car, when it would be better on the LEFT.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I really dislike the factory convex mirror. I prefer to put on my own 2" convex on the upper outside.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can run a backup camera wirelessly via my Garmin GPS, I do intend to do that at some point.

I do have my phone thru bluetooth on my radio which is nice. Truck automatically syncs and streams Pandora when I start it and I can call/receive calls without wrangling a phone as I steer/shift which is very nice.

Kinda meh compared to the newer stuff but I also have added an auto dimming compass/thermometer rear view mirror which is slick.

Not much of the rest of the stuff in the OP interests me.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I usually like to set the side mirrors so there’s a little gap between the side and rear. Convex takes up the slack (once I put it on). I can move my head to the side to see the gap. Problem is that I’m so close to the rear view, a slight change in seating position makes it show me the bed or sky… and I’m often changing position cause the roof is about 2” too short… I have to pick which part of my spine is slouching for a given trip. I really wish I got an ext cab. Of course that’s part of the charm of the single cab.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Some of this kind of stuff has been done to my green Ranger and some is on the wish list. I have LED bulbs just about everywhere, want to swap the mirrors to get puddle lights, do the mirror turn signal conversion (if I can ever find the parts, the tech article specifies but I haven’t found a source) and want to add green LEDs to the bottoms of the doors wired as puddle lights. I have a double DIN DVD player and wired up a backup cam. Sun visors were replaced with ones that have a video screen. Kicking around the idea of trying to do one of the 360* cameras and maybe blind spot sensors. Have a NES knock off console to go in and a CB is on the list. Plus whatever else I decide to play with.

That said, the backup camera has mostly been used just to hook up the trailer. It’s all more novelty than need for me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals