• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

abs sensor gap?

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
Doew anyone know how big the gap should be between the abs sensor and the tone ring? During my axle swap I changed my 9" to accept the tone ring and sensor. At a certain speed the speedometer and odometer quit working. Luckily it is just above freeway speed so it warns me if I go too fast. I am thinking I have the gap set wrong and it doesn't sense the tone ring at certain speeds. FYI I have not corrected for tire/gear yet, could that be a factor?

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Doew anyone know how big the gap should be between the abs sensor and the tone ring? During my axle swap I changed my 9" to accept the tone ring and sensor. At a certain speed the speedometer and odometer quit working. Luckily it is just above freeway speed so it warns me if I go too fast. I am thinking I have the gap set wrong and it doesn't sense the tone ring at certain speeds. FYI I have not corrected for tire/gear yet, could that be a factor?
The Ford manual gives a spec. of .005-.045 in. for sensor air gap. Hope this helps.

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
Yes that helps, the only thing I need to do now is measure that distance without disassembling the axle. My plan is to modify the housing (see: sledge hammer) so that the sensor touches an find a way to shim it back to the right distance. Does anyone know if they make shims for that sensor? If not a layer of RTV might work.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can buy sheets of plastic shim stock at any parts store.
They are color-coded for sizes.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What about maybe inserting the sensor with a wad of clay or putty on the end of it, like you would do to check piston to valve clearance? Just a thought.....
Another thought.... Could you measure from the mounting surface of the sensor to the tone ring with a depth micrometer or caliper, then measure the length of the sensor?

Last edited:

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
I've tried the micrometer but the hole is too big to rest on. I really like the clay idea I am just afraid of it coming off and I have to go in after it. I appreciate the ideas, though.

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
So, I think I got it. I used three layers of blue masking tape taped to the bottom of the sensor. After pressing it down I found it wasnt distance but angle that was wrong. The teeth of the tone ring were digging into the tape about 1/8" from the edge of the sensor. So with some persuasion(again see: sledge hammer) I managed to get it centered. I couldn't find shim material but was able to find gasket material. It took two layers to get it where it needs to be. I am getting a Jet power programmer delivered on Wed. After I get it calibrated I will test it and post the results.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals