• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

a4ld swap

fordman2121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo LPG blow-through
Transmission
Manual
Anyone know if I can swap my a4ld to a 4r44e? I dont need od or lock up to work as its in a wheeler. Im finding it hard to find an A4lD trans for what I need but the 4r seems to be easier to come by. This would be in a 2.3 and is the bellhousing the same on the two as well?

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
Not without some creative wiring to make shift solenoids work. The pressure control solenoid can be with out electric as it will just set high line pressure. Pumps don’t last to long at constant high pressure. Good luck.

Yettiyell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What's your goal for this? It is doable but transman is right. It would take alot of work. More than its worth to most people. Maybe theres a different tranny you could use? Is a manual out of the question? C4 is a good tranny with no od. Parts are cheap for them too. Aods can be found easily but might rob too much power. If you could find one of the rare c5s that might work for you?

Easiest way is to swap the entire powertrain from a truck with the tranny you want into the body you have, but that includes the engine.......and still more work.

fordman2121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo LPG blow-through
Transmission
Manual
Mania is out of the question. I can manual shift the trans but didn't think of the line pressure issue. A c tans would work if i could find one cheap. It a back up wheeler so nothing has to be done. My problem is right now I am using the divorced t case and I ripped the threads out of the xcase. So want to just use basically all ranger drivetrain to keep it reliable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals