• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD Failure, Looking at M5OD-R1 Swap

chrisbronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Rare?!?! Ranger pedals are RARE?? That seller is a total chode. Those are not anywhere near hard to find nor are they expensive. Maybe $20-30 is what I would pay for a pedal assembly at a junkyard. '89 to '94 are all the same - Ranger, Bronco II or Explorer. Actually you don't even need the bracket, just the pedals themselves, they can be swapped without removing the dash... kind of a pain but doable.
Thanks. I wouldn't need the bracket on an auto-to-manual conversion?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Thanks. I wouldn't need the bracket on an auto-to-manual conversion?
Nope. The pivot rod is hold in by E clips on each end... remove the passenger side clip, slide the rod out towards the driver's side of the truck, then the pedals fall right out. Installation of the new ones is the opposite of removal.

I've done it several times, it's a bit more difficult on newer trucks because of wiring that is in the way and it helps to unbolt the parking brake pedal assembly for more room... but it's WAY easier than removing the whole dash.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A donor vehicle is always the best option, next up would be scavenging at a wrecking yard
Facebook marketplace is a good place to start

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
As said, it is MUCH easier to change out the pedals into your existing bracket. You can also get new plastic pedal shaft bushings in the "Help" section at the parts store, and end up with like-new pedal operation to boot.

The eBay deal looks "convenient" but way too expensive. It looks like the seller "restored" the pedals with black spray paint; all the brackets I've seen are natural cast aluminum color. That's kind of a "red flag" to me.

As also said, a donor or a junk yard is a much better option. Seeing the donor parts in place, and especially removing them yourself, is very valuable experience for when you go to put them into your own truck.

Otherwise, to answer your question, if you get the eBay deal, you'll need to get a triple-function switch and it's mounting clip, and make sure that you get a new master cylinder that includes a new rod that will clamp onto the pedal stud (most do, I think). The eBay unit is also missing the rubber pads (likely get 'em from LMC, but at yet more expense). And do the new bushings.

Glad to see you looking into doing the swap. Hang in there.

rdn10se

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Hello Chris, Rick from TN here. If you do the swap, would you be interested in selling the fill tube and dipstick off your old A4LD?

chrisbronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Hello Chris, Rick from TN here. If you do the swap, would you be interested in selling the fill tube and dipstick off your old A4LD?
Hi Rick- I'm not doing the swap after all. Don't have time to hunt down all the parts. Getting the auto trans rebuilt.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think it might be possible to make one, it's only a tube and a stick. I am not attempting to be sarcastic here, I know it must fit only where it belongs, with no part interfering with others, I just think, even for temporary purposes that it can be very possible to construct something that provides the information you need from one, even if you have to begin the process with a fresh oil change to ensure you are starting with the correct full level

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals