• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A/C not fixed yet

notaprob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last year, I replaced the condenser, compressor and orifice tube. I used the refrigerant in a can to charge it, and the A/C worked once or twice. About a year later, I took my truck to a mechanic to get it charged with their machine and they said it was a pound low and they fixed a small leak (it was at the high pressure valve). It worked only one day and now the compressor wont kick on again. I am beginning to think it is an electrical problem. The A/C light turns on but that is it. A little help will be appreciated! :rockon:

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Check for voltage at your A/C compressor. That comes from the A/C relay, and that's switched ON/OFF by the A/C cycling switch above the accumulator/drier. So check those with a voltmeter. Also check for R134a pressures, since you may have leaked it all.

Youtube has many helpful A/C How-To videos. Many of them apply equally well to Rangers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMM80xlon3U

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Unplug the electrical connector on the low pressure switch and jumper the two pins together. Turn the AC on. If the compressor engages, you're low on refrigerant. If it still doesn't engage, you have an electrical problem or a bad compressor coil or clutch.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Unplug the electrical connector on the low pressure switch and jumper the two pins together. Turn the AC on. If the compressor engages, you're low on refrigerant. If it still doesn't engage, you have an electrical problem or a bad compressor coil or clutch.
Or it has a bad LP switch.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

notaprob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Unplug the electrical connector on the low pressure switch and jumper the two pins together. Turn the AC on. If the compressor engages, you're low on refrigerant.
I did that and the clutch engaged! So I'm guessing the next thing to do is find the leak because I had it charged a month ago.

Thanks for the posts everybody!

Last edited:

notaprob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
took it to get it recharged and to find a leak but the system was full. The problem turned out to be the low pressure switch.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Or it has a bad LP switch.

took it to get it recharged and to find a leak but the system was full. The problem turned out to be the low pressure switch.
Sorry you wasted the money at a shop. Super easy diagnosis and fix... But nobody listens to me...

notaprob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry you wasted the money at a shop. Super easy diagnosis and fix... But nobody listens to me...
The only reason why I did not think it was the LP switch was because I remembered It was replaced around the same time of the new compressor. Obviously that was not good enough to rule out. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals