• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A Arm idea

00srad600

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Anyone ever thought of building long travel a arms. What I'm thinking is that with longer a arms you could get more lift and better ground clearance. I'm talking 6 to 9 inches longer getting custom shafts. The only thing I'm worried about is steering I know I could build the arms and shafts but not sure on how to set the steering up. Any ideas on steering cause everything else is pretty simple. Thanks for the help

00srad600

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Well I should have said this in the first post. But what I'm doing is taking a b2 frame and putting the ifs of a 91 nissan d21 pickup the reason is the rear end is 9.25 posi with 4.66 gears. Now why would I do that we'll I have a 91 nissan with a bad frame so I have the stuff already and the set up is super simple. The rear end has shafts like a solid axle that run just a foot from the hubs. Then it's a 6 bolt flang then there's your cvs that run to the the hubs. I really love the set up but you can only get maybe 6 to 8 inches of wheel travel. Now what I'm thinking is that if I build my own set up I can get 14 to 16 inch of wheel travel. By extending the arms and changing from cvs to a half shafts. Using coils over tbars then I when out and was looking at the steering set up on the hubs I think I can build a hi steer set up. All in all I think I just needed more time to think about the set up cause I'm pretty sure I got it now. That and being that I will be building all the brackets to set everything in there I can drop it down a littles farther then what the nissan sits. But thank you guys for showing me them set up it really did help

00srad600

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Ok so the a arms are about 20 inches long and that gives me 5 inches of wheel travel. So to get the wheel travel I want and to keep ujoints happy I would need to make my a arms 40 inches long and that will give me 10 inches of wheel travel easy now with modding the bump stops after I can get a good amount of wheel travel and keep every thing nice and happy. Lol and people say the only way to go is sas ha no that's just the easy way now time to start getting to work ill set up a build log on it

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
So you're going to make this thing almost 3½ feet wider than stock??? (20" longer each side?) :icon_confused: That's going to be about the width of a big-rig truck :icon_surprised:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
:icon_surprised:

80" of control arms!! The max vehicle width allowed on the road is 102"... Keep that in mind.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
A 1:1 scale replica of a remote-controlled stadium truck...

00srad600

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Well I'm not building a dd I'm building a toy. So I really don't care how wide it is. That and the set up on the nissan is only 65 inches. Then as long as I use 20x10 rims with a good off set I can get away with it. So then ill just do 35 inch a arms then I'm leagal. I just want some 42 with ifs cause I'm putting an ext cab ranger on the b2 frame I might do a doubler. I just want something to play in and I hate solid axles

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's actually aught to be a pretty cool build.

Only thing I would do different would be a Ford 9" center. I've built narrowed drag axles that would easily fit between the a-arm mounts.

Then you could put some tire to it....

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
A 1:1 scale replica of a remote-controlled stadium truck...
That was exactly my thought as well :icon_twisted:

Maybe check out some of the Ultra4 (KOH) IFS rockracing cars for ideas.

00srad600

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Well the reason I'm using the nissan axle is that I have one. That and the thing is tits off road it is a 9.5 with posi 4.66 don't need to buy gears and the matching rear diff is free with rotors over drum and its also posi. That and I plan to run the whole nissan drivetrain that vg30e is a pretty simple motor to turbo and get around 300 horse power with axles that will hold to 600 hp. So that's my power plant a boosted v6 haven't seen one of them in there. Just need to strip everything from the b2 frame cut all the old ifs stuff out. Then I just need to find a body unless I just the nissan cab. I rather have a gen 1 or 2 ext cab ranger to put on it. I think it should be pretty cool.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
To bad your not closer, I have a 98 supercab parts truck...

Your best bet is to find someone parting one on Craigslist, I've never paid or sold a cab more than $200.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

00srad600

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9
Transmission
Manual
I like the 83 to 92 cabs and front clip I like square body's. there is an 87 at the junk yard but then I would have to get an r title for it. I may just use the nissan cab and mod the 89 front clip to fit the cab. That and being there should only be 3 to 4 feet behind the cab ill just tub it up and use mud flaps. Just needs to warm up no shelter I can work under

00srad600

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9
Transmission
Manual
What I really need right now is the slip joint for the nissan t case. Can't seem to find one if anyone can find me a slip joint for a 90 to 97 nissan d21 would be great.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals