• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'99 Power conversion question

99rangercustom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I am going to add power windows and locks to my 99 ranger XLT, standard cab, 2wd, manual. I will not be doing stock switches, instead I have plans to install custom switches in my console (from an explorer).

So my question is, for this setup, what else do I need other than the regulator/motor and actuator. Fuses? Relays? What gauge wire? Any other tips would be much appreciated.

I plan to get OEM parts as far as as the actuators and regulators from a JY, or the bolt in replacement kit from A1. What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
@99rangercustom:
The below is to put the OEM features in place, so you know where you're starting from. Things like repositioning switches will be matter of extending some wires and shortening others.

The easy part: door locks, swapping the power lock in the door is pretty much as simple as undoing the 3 T27 bolts, disconnecting the door handle & lock cylinder rods and replacing the manual lock with power one. If you pull OEM wiring/switches with the lock, its basically a "bolt in". Things get a little dicey as to whether Ford included the wires from the drivers to passengers door (with XLT odds are better than an XL).

Where problems start is the GEM (generic electronics module) which controls your remote fob/anti theft. It also handles the "smarts" of stopping lock/unlock when something in wrong e.g. locks iced up and won't function. It keeps motors from burning out, etc. 99 chances out of 100, your GEM doesn't include power locks programming and there are a number of other functions tied into the GEM the big 2 being air bag controller & ABS. You need to match modules/ your truck's ABS setup which can get challenging if pulling parts from a wreck - blow air bags = blown air bag controller. You can get away without the 'correct' GEM, put you need to pay attention to what you are doing i.e. don't hold button down in lock and you won't have remote unlock from fob.

Power windows are bigger PIA. The regulators are held in place with 3-4 rivets - pound the pin from driving the rivet out, then drill the remaining rivet out to remove. Then get the required rivets and pull to install.

Almost guaranteed your truck doesn't have the wires or the correct GEM. Routing wires from one side of dash to the other isn't big deal, but the GEM is more important for windows - the one touch for lowering/raising driver's window and for controlling stopping window travel both up and down. You now can have other people operating the controls for the passengers window.

Again, you don't have to have the Ford GEM, but now you know what you would be up against. I put power windows/locks in one Ranger - I pulled the entire dash from another with the options I wanted. That was easier - only something like a dozen bolts.

99rangercustom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
@don4331

Thank you for the info.
I found two kits from A1 that are for power windows and locks, made to match for ranger stock, I will add links to them below. The locks look like they come with a module for the remote and everything. Would these work for my purposes?

I have a friend who is a certified mechanic, and he believes the kits have everything I need, and he will be doing all the wiring( I'm lost when it comes to electronics) But he's used to working on foreign sport cars, not domestic trucks, so I'm just looking for a second opinion before I order them.

Thank you for any help

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals