• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 ford ranger

big_boi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Were do i start??
Lowering my 98 ford ranger..
Need help & advice

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We need a little more info about the truck, and what you want out of it. You have some options, but they depend on the type of suspension.
For 2wd coil spring trucks, you can buy 2/3 (drop springs, flip kit, and lift shackles) or 4/5 (drop springs, control arms, flip kit) drop kits from DJM, or 3/5 (Drop coils and leafs) from Belltech.

For trucks with Torsion bar suspensions, you can crank the bars down, or flip them for up to 5 inches of drop, and the rear drop options are the same as the other trucks.

If you have coil springs, you can also do a quick, cheap drop by cutting your coils (don't go more than 2 inches, or it won't be alignable), and flipping your rear shackles for a 2 inch drop in the rear.

The best advise is to look around through the street truck of the month gallery here, and pick out the look that you want, and copy it.

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I offer, 2/2, 2/3, 3/3, 3/5, 4/5, 5/5, 5/6 drops for the 98+ coils spring rangers and various kits for the torsion bar Edge as well. Shoot me an email to brian@illusivefabrications.com if I can help you out.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
96 and earlier 4cyl S10 front springs are supposed to be good for a 3" front drop. Based on what I've read on the various forums, I'd combine it with the DJM upper control arms to keep alignment within spec.

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I got my measurements on the springs from Napa after seeing a build thread where a guy used the S10 springs on his. I wouldn't have suggested it if it werent a fit. I think the springs you're thinking of are 97 and later. My measurements came off 96 and older 4cyl. Not trying to knock the vendor above me, he's got some good products I want to buy later. But the S10 springs can be had for 65 bucks shipped from RockAuto last I checked, perfect if you're on a budget!

Last edited:

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm pretty sure all s10 springs are the same diameter as they all use the same drop spindles, tubular control arms and air bag brackets.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
According to the Napa specs, the difference in ID is about 1/10 of an inch with the Ranger springs being the smaller, though the Ranger springs are a thicker wire diameter, by .02 inches. Both have one tangential end and one square end. Biggest difference is the free height and load height. Ranger spring free/load is 15.92"/12.5", S10 is 13.23"/10.75". The guy I heard about it from had his Ranger posted on one of the Ranger forums, it was a white 98+ with green wheels. For 65 bucks shipped I haven't got much to lose trying them on mine.

I did have a question for you though. How much drop do those bolt in notches you carry handle?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals