• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 Ranger problems with 4r55e

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As the title states have a 96 Ranger 4 x 4 and having problems with the transmission. When I drive it seems to shift hard and make the truck jerk forward, it even seems to shift when I am not expecting it too. A couple days ago it started doing it real bad and then the O/D light started flashing. Not sure what to do, if there where any codes they seem to be gone and the O/D light seems to have reset once I turned the truck off. Any ideas, not sure where to start on this one.

#1 U.S.A.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
if the fluid smells burnt then you would require a overhaul to repair the issue. the more likely issue is the epc solenoid loosing pressure, the valvebody gaskets torn and clutches burnt all this can cause the overdrive light to start blinking at all times....

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
To update the situation the first time this happened I had taken about a 30-40 minute trip on the highway- at some point the O/D light came on and the hard shifting started. Once I got it home and let it cool down started up and was fine for about a month. Drove it on the highway for about 40 minutes yesterday and the same thing happened again. Parked it last night and drove it today with no problems. Checked the fluid today and the level is fine and does not smell burnt. Not sure what to make of it and need some help.

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well it has happened again and still not sure why, really need some help. How can I check the EPC solinoid and this other stuff. I only have about 90 days left here in Hawaii and if I can't fix this the truck isn't getting shipped since I will need to drive from CA to CO. Any ideas, need help!!!

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wanted to update the symptoms to try an maybe give a better idea what is happening. When this has happened I have generally been driving at highway speed for 30+ minutes. the first thing that will normally happen is I will see the O/D Off light begin to flash, once that comes on the truck will begin to shift very hard. The first couple times after I got where I was going and turned the truck off it was fine the next time it was started (like it reset). This last time I started it up the next day and it is still shifting very hard, however the O/d Off light is not on. I checked the fluid and it seems to be fine and does not smell burnt. This has happened three times I can remember but is becoming more frequent.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I think when the computer senses a problem, it automatically bumps the pressure way up to (somehow :dunno:) prevent transmission damage. That's why it shifts really hard. You need a code reader that can also read transmission codes.

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I tried to read the codes in the past and once you shut the truck off it seems to reset, will check my code reader later and make sure it can do trans codes

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It has been suggested to me to replace the EPC solenoid and the valve body gasket. I was trying to shop around some and can't seem to find the EPC solenoid, all I find listed is the shift control solenoid and TCC solenoid. Do I have to go to Ford for this item?

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pulled out the code reader today and there are no codes. From what I can tell my reader, an Innova 3120, does read transmission codes. Thinking at this point I will do the seperator plate as found in the tech library and the ecp solenoid.

w.brill@mchsi.com

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 Ranger
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
O/D light flashing

I just finished pulling out my transmission on my 4.0 5r55e Ranger and my truck was giving your exact symptoms.It turned out to be a blown lipseal on the piston in the itermediate band shift servo. It is a major job transmission must be removed.If repaired soon after problem occured you might get lucky like I did and not have other band and clutch problems to fix . The hard shifts are a result of the computer putting the transmission in default mode to try and protect itself from low pressure because of the leaking piston.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
I just finished pulling out my transmission on my 4.0 5r55e Ranger and my truck was giving your exact symptoms.It turned out to be a blown lipseal on the piston in the itermediate band shift servo. It is a major job transmission must be removed.If repaired soon after problem occured you might get lucky like I did and not have other band and clutch problems to fix . The hard shifts are a result of the computer putting the transmission in default mode to try and protect itself from low pressure because of the leaking piston.
And when do you need to pull the trans to service the servos?

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Where exactly are these servos?

CGordon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Was this ever fixed? If yes, how?

I have the same problem. :(

Thanks for you time!

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This has not been fixed as of yet. I need some better info on this seal or whatever it is. Is this a job I can do at the house?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals