• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Ranger Parking Brake Issue

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My parking brakes actually working is one of two things I need to get my truck to pass the state safety inspection. I believe I have done everything correctly but they still do not work. The rear brakes were redone by the previous owner and I took the drums off and everything looks good. I have replaced all 3 brake cables and the pedal still goes to the floor and won't hold the truck in place. Any ideas on how to fix this? I really need to get this done, the inspection is a month past due and the tags are up at the end of the month.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just going to have to have your head under the dash and operate it and see where it is not working. It is likely either disconnected in the hubs, on the pedal, or the pedal assembly is broken.

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know all the cables are connected and that it is connected inside the truck. As far as these other disconnects what are the "hubs" etc? What exactly am I looking for?

flagport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
It's all mechanical with the cable hookups, so if everything is properly connected from the foot pedal to the rear axle, the cable is either out of adjustment (too much slack before it engages the brake pads) or you're probably looking at a disconnect inside the brake drums (hubs) themselves.

If the previous owner replaced the rear brakes before you got it, it's likely that one or both of the cables inside the drum (hub) may have come loose. Remove a drum (hub), put someone in the cab on the pedal, and see if anything moves in the brakes.

You should be able to find a rear brake photo in the tech section to get anidea of how the parts interact, especially the parking brake cable/system.

Good luck.

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This morning I got under the dash and actuated the parking brake pedal. The pedal moves but it doesn't move the cable. I am going to try and get to the bone yard and see if I can find a pedal assembly

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wasn't able to find an exact match at the junkyard but I found this online.

Recall ID # 94V169001 - PARKING BRAKE:CONVENTIONAL
Recall Date:
SEP 07, 1994
Model Affected:
1994 FORD RANGER
Summary:
THE PARKING BRAKE CONTROL SELF-ADJUST PAWL DOES NOT LINE UP PROPERLY WITH THE SELF-ADJUST RACHET CAUSING THE PAWL TO SLIP OVER ONE OR MORE TEETH IN THE RACHET.
Consequence:
WHEN THE ABOVE OCCURS, IT CAN RESULT IN PARKING BRAKE SYSTEM INEFFECTIVENESS. THE PARKING BRAKE WILL NOT HOLD THE VEHICLE, CAUSING THE VEHICLE TO ROLL FREELY, IF THE TRANSMISSION IS NOT LEFT IN GEAR.
Remedy:
A WEDGE WILL BE INSTALLED WHICH WILL SERVE TO LOCK THE PARKING BRAKE SELF-ADJUST MECHANISM PAWL INTO ENGAGEMENT WITH THE RACHET. ALSO, OWNERS WILL BE ADVISED TO RELEASE AND REAPPLY THE PARKING BRAKE WHENEVER TOOTH SKIP OCCURS AND WILL BE REMINDED TO ALWAYS TURN OFF THE ENGINE AND LEAVE THE VEHICLE IN GEAR WHEN THE VEHICLE IS PARKED.
Potential Units Affected:
Notes:
FORD MOTOR COMPANY

This is exactly what mine is doing, anyone know if Ford will help me out or will I need to purchase the piece to fix this?

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I posted a link with detailed install instructions with pictures for that recall in this thread:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91959

Unfortunately it doesnt apply to my ranger as mine was built in 10/94, so I'm looking for another solution. The difference for me is that the parking brake pedal does move my brake cables, but it seems there is some slack before it does so.... I've got to dig a little deeper to find out why

Hawk1339

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FordFord
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Regarding the recall.... The pedal is supposed to self adjust but it doesn't, it can possibly get wound so tight or go so slack that it won't work at all. Crummy design. The recall involved placing a molded plastic wedge that locked the adjustment pawl in place once the pedal was properly adjusted. My recall wedge broke years ago and I had to machine a replacement.

Assuming that the wedge thing isn't an issue for you, if the pedal isn't broke, just out of adjustment, you can try holding the release lever open while operating the pedal by hand several times to try to get the cable wound in. You can check by going under the truck and giving the cable a yank to see if the pedal holds on to it. If you can pull the cable out from the pedal there's something wrong with the locking pawl. If you can't, but it won't adjust, it could be that the pawl is broken or the recall wedge is in place. If the latter, remove the wedge temporarily, adjust the cable, then put the wedge back in.

rkneeshaw had this link in one of his posts- info about the parking brake wedge.

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/54322-2

Last edited:

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You can check by going under the truck and giving the cable a yank to see if the pedal holds on to it. If you can pull the cable out from the pedal there's something wrong with the locking pawl.
This right here is my issue, but only if the parking break is NOT engaged. if its engaged I believe it holds, its just that I can't seem to get the initial slack out. But my parking brake is newer than that which the recall applies and is a different design, so I feel somewhat out of luck.

Hawk1339

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FordFord
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This right here is my issue, but only if the parking break is NOT engaged. if its engaged I believe it holds, its just that I can't seem to get the initial slack out. But my parking brake is newer than that which the recall applies and is a different design, so I feel somewhat out of luck.
Any parking brake pedal would have a way to release the pawl, for one, in order to be able to replace the cable, and for two, to be able to properly adjust the parking brake system.

I seem to recall a procedure (in another manual that I can't immediately locate) in which one used a certain sized rod or drill to release the pawl. This rod is inserted into a hole on the pedal housing to release the pawl. If I can find this I'll post it.

Hawk1339

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FordFord
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is a hole in the mechanism where a 5/32 drill or pin can be pushed in to release the cable tension. This is on late 94 and beyond. Here's a drawing:

Release the tension with the pin and pull the cable from below the truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals