• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 splash 4x4 engine choice

CountryDriven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm planning to buy and build a 302 before I even begin the swap on my ranger because its my dd and I use it heavily. After a ton of digging in the forums I'm still stuck on the platform/build for my 302. Would buying a 87-93 ho 5.0 out of a mustang or town car be best because it would give me the (supposedly) better computer? Or would the 5.0 out of a explorer be better because of the heads and front pulley assembly. If I bought the explorer engine would I just bolt in a 93 computer? I have also read that I need to buy a stand-alone harness which looks to be around 500$ for the 93 computer? This will be a budget build and I am hoping to keep the cost under 1000$. I have time to be resourceful so this should be a reasonable budget. I have a ton of experience with carburetors from rebuilding them on riding mowers, go-karts, dirt-bikes, ect. but absolutely no knowledge on how efi works. I know there are fuel rails, injectors, throttle bodys, ect. but I simply have no knowledge on how they work or how to set them up. I would really like to get 18-20mpg out of my 5.0 so I will only be putting money into things that would help, not hurt mpg (heads,very mild cam,ignition,light internals, more?) Not looking for a speed machine just something that can pull a mini camper and my 17ft grizzly jon boat without any doubt. That v8 rumble is definitely a plus too :headbang:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Go with a 96-97 explorer motor, use the ex motor, ECU & engine harness. I can hook you up with the wiring part, its really easy. With that ECU & harness, I can have that motor running with only 5 wires. I can build you a drop in harness too if your interested or don't want to tackle the wiring...

SVT

CountryDriven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Alright Ill be searching for the explorer motor then, would mustang convertible motor mounts work for my application (4wd)? What tranny and transfer case would you suggest? I was thinking a AOD with matching f150 transfer but I would like to not have to body lift if I don't have to. Would the 4R70W from the explorer bolt to a manual transfer case that would fit in-between my frame rails? I think I read the 4406 manual shift would fit between the rails on a thread where it was being swapped into a explorer to swap the awd. Would this fit behind a 4R70W? Is there a better option? Thank you so much for your helpful info and insight! Would defiantly be interested in getting that wiring harness!

windsorv8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright Ill be searching for the explorer motor then, would mustang convertible motor mounts work for my application (4wd)? What tranny and transfer case would you suggest? I was thinking a AOD with matching f150 transfer but I would like to not have to body lift if I don't have to. Would the 4R70W from the explorer bolt to a manual transfer case that would fit in-between my frame rails? I think I read the 4406 manual shift would fit between the rails on a thread where it was being swapped into a explorer to swap the awd. Would this fit behind a 4R70W? Is there a better option? Thank you so much for your helpful info and insight! Would defiantly be interested in getting that wiring harness!
you can use tweecer to tune anything with the explorer ecu. im using it to shut off a check engine for a missing automatic transmission, i replaced it with a manual. i used an np-205 transfer case, its an old cast gear to gear unit. very strong. it should bolt to any 4 wheel drive transmission you decide to go with. i went with a zf-5 because of the granny low and over drive.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The mustang mounts would work, but the plate mount with stock rubber mounts works better IMO. The trans, go with the 4R70W, it has a better 1st gear with overdrive. The Tcase you can use the 205 with minimal modification, the bronco 1356 is a better option than the 4406 IMO, its lighter, slightly shorter, and better output options. I've used 205's, 1356's, and atlas's behind the 4R70W in the swaps I've done...

SVT

ty.thompson1981

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Yea like ranger SVT said, I would go with the explorer engine. I did my swap with an 89 gt engine and t5. I had quite a time with the mustang accessories and clearance for electric fans. My engine sits a little forward but the explorer accessories I'm sure would give me more clearance. As far as wiring, I would have ranger svt build you a wiring harness that you can just plug and play if you are not that familiar with EFI and wiring. I tried my hand at the wiring from scratch with splicing the ranger and mustang harnesses together but that turned out to be a nightmare. I got lucky and found a guy on this forum that had built a custom harness that was plug and play for my swap and sold it to me. Good luck.

CountryDriven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Would a 4r70w from any year fit? I found one with 75k miles for 200$ out of an 97 4.6 f150.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
No, the mod motors are a different bellhousing bolt pattern than the pushrod V8's. The one exception is the 97-01 4.2l V6 found in the f series trucks, they also share the pushrod V8 pattern. They do, however, need to have the bellhousing drilled out slightly to 7/16 as the holes are a smaller 11mm...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals