• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Camaro wiper and rear defogger issue

slycer2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, I have a couple of issues that I would like some input on. One I am not sure of the problem, the other I know what the problem is but I have a question on the remedy.
First off, the wipers. The wipers only work when they want to. They'll start up fine but after awhile they will just quit working. Nothing I can do will get them to start up again. I usually have to just pull over and let the car sit for about 20 minutes or so (sometimes less, sometimes more) and then they'll start up again as if nothing happened. I know this isn't it, but it usually only happens when my wife has one of her Muse CD's in the radio. The really funny thing is that it first happened when we were driving up to Chicago in March on our way to a Muse concert. Is it possible for a car to NOT like a band? Anyway, serious again. Do wiper motors get dead spots in the windings like a starter will? Or is it possible that the motor is overheating and shuts down? Any ideas would be most appreciated.
As far as the rear defogger, the wire has broken off the passenger side where it connects to the element right at the glass. Is it possible to have that reconnected someway, either by soldering or...? Is it possible to replace the element itself or would we have to replace the whole glass? I've seen the prices on the glass and I think it would be cheaper to get an entire decklid from a salvage yard. Right now its not a big issue, but with winter coming I need to get this taken care of as soon as I can. Once again, thanks for any input.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure on the wipers, but they make repair kits for the rear defroster. I have never used one, but I believe it's something you just brush on between the breaks in the defroster wires and it bridges the break and allows the defroster to work.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The shafts for the wipers sometimes get stiff (due to crud getting in or lubricant dieing of old age). the added strain on the motor causes the breaker to trip. If you remove the motor and then try to move the wipers you will probably find they are really stiff. If that is the case you can usually work something like wd40 down the shaft and free them up again, you will have to relube them a couple of times a year thereafter but it's a cheap easy fix.

slycer2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the reply. That would probably work if our break was in the grid. Unfortunately, the break is where the main power wire attaches to the grid. So I don't know that it will work. I'll have to check it out though. Thanks again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals