• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 4.0 auto transmission like drags or slip or lockup disengages at some highway spd

jimtmcdaniels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
1993 Ranger 2x4 stx supercab 160,000 miles 4.0 automatic w/over drive

I hope I'm not asking about a problem that has already been answered, but I have searched other posts for the same problem but haven't found a match:

At around 60 mph (and above) the truck speed vaguely surges up and down a bit and then usually the check engine light will come on for a while as well.

When I shift out of overdrive into regular drive to investigate, it seems the problem goes away until back into overdrive. Shifting out of overdrive during the problem seems to definitely drop out of the 4th gear into 3rd, however I can't tell if the lock up was already disengaged, therefore I tend to think the lockup is this intermittent problem.

I am thinking that the transmission is dragging or the lock up torque converter is engaging and disengaging or perhaps the transmission is slipping. That maybe what decides to lockup changes it's mind once locked up, a solenoid or something. I did find this transmission parts company has a short video talking about a common problem with an o ring causing loss of lockup pressure: "In this video we looked at the F57 torque converter, which is found in a Ford Explorer & Ranger with either an A4LD, 4R55, or 5R55 transmission.

The most common issue seen in this type converter is wear inside the piston hub, which can lead to fluid loss and/or non-lockup.

How do we fix this problem?

The first step is a 100% seal replacement on the part. We then polish the center hub of the piston body, which allows the o-ring to seal properly.

These are just some of the ways DACCO is making OEM converters better." http://www.daccoinc.com/blog/index.php/tag/torque-converter/

I think it mostly happens when going north on the highway where I think it is more uphill than south.

I did read that the 4.0 auto trans is a heavier design and different in some areas because of the larger engine.

I did replace the transmission pan fluid and filter and adjusted the bands and now I believe the problem does not happen as much and shifting is slightly better. The fluid and pan where in normal condition for a change. Otherwise the transmission works fine.

I did go to riley's auto and used an engine code reader but did not find any problems. I don't know why there was no code found.

I do not have experience taking a transmission apart so any help would be great!

Jim

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals