• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'88 Ranger XLT No Dash Lights

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1988 didn't have "Flash to pass"?
Thought it did

When you pull turn signal stalk(multi-function switch) toward you it will flash the High Beams whether main light switch is on or off
That's "flash to pass", it has 12volts all the time

If you push the stalk in/away from you that's high beams and its powered from main light switch like the low beams, so only has 12v when Main switch is on

There is just 1 wire out of multi-function switch for Flash to pass and High beams both, so if nether is working then could be the wire
If one works but not the other then wire is OK

There is a separate wire out for Low beams but they share the same 12v from main light switch as high beams, but not "flash to pass"

rosscob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
The LED's really brighten things up but they do not dim like the standard 194 bulbs did. When I replaced them on my '84 El Camino I found some that said they were dimmable and they work just fine but this time around I could find any that claimed they were dimmable. I found a set of 10 on Ebay for less than $10 and they even came with new sockets. If you decide you want to go LED they're picky about polarity. Before I started I put bulbs in the new sockets and tested them to see which side was positive and marked that side of the socket. Then when I pulled the cluster I found and followed the circuit board to find out where the power and ground terminals were at and checked to see which side was positive and matched them with bulbs and got them all right the first time around. If you get one that won't light just pull the socket and rotate it 180 degrees and that will fix the problem. It's well worth the time and it's a cheap investment.

rosscob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I ordered a new turn signal/Hi-Lo beam headlight switch and when I went to install it it looked like somebody had already installed a new switch and that didn't fix the problem. I pulled the connector off and one of the wires had gotten pushed out of the plastic connector when they installed the new switch so I pushed it back in and hooked everything back up and it works like it should. I was able to return the switch I purchased and everything is working. The LED bulbs work great but they don't dim. When I changed them out in my '84 El Camino I found dimmable LED's and they work great but I couldn't find them this time around. I always run my gauges on Hi anyway.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I bought some LEDs for my dash lights. I do a lot of night driving and not sure if I will want them in. It will be a test and see kind of thing for me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals