• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 single cab SAS build

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
i came up with an idea that i need some opinions on i have a buddy with a zf 5spd thats got less than 100k on it with the t case which is bigger than my stock 1354 m-shift that i have now . i could prolly get for 120-150 and just swap that in there to get rid of my current trans problem but im not sure if it would be worth all that work to swap it over.

i do have a flywheel for a 5.0 to use brand new but i also would have to have my d shafts custom made which im going to need anyway after swapping my axels out to half tons.

Or instead of doing that i could take it to a local trans shop and have them go through it and help me set it up the right way but id still have the stock t case which im not sure would stand the abuse of a 302.

all advice is appreciated and considered im back to the drawing board here....thanks..josh

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
You'll find that some of the full size truck transfer cases barely fit or require notching the frame or clocking the transfer case down a bit. I can't remember which guys have notched their frames, hopefully somebody can chime in with a picture.
The BW 1354 is a good little case and I've seen them live with small block power. One that will fit the truck and handle a small block is the BW 4406.

My opinion would be to have the trans and t case you have sorted out by somebody else. This way you aren't starting over again from scratch. Plus you're giving somebody else your headache.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Yeah I think I will I spoke with a local trans builder about my situation so it'll prolly be goin out there in a week or two there's plenty other things I could work on but I want to get it drving before I do much else feels like a waste of time to build Interior parts when the prick won't drive

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
there's plenty other things I could work on but I want to get it drving before I do much else feels like a waste of time to build Interior parts when the prick won't drive
Boy, can I relate to that. :annoyed:

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the 1354 will hold up to a mild 302. Just take the trans over to the shop and get it fixed by them.

So how did you break the throttle cable?

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
I added the lightest return spring g I could find in my garage to the TV cable actuator arm on the trans which runs directly to my throttle and I guess the spri g was to much I was trying to get it to down shift and started putting a little more and more pressure on the pedal I expected some resistance from the added spring but it just all of a sudden popped and no more throttle response. Opon further Inspection with good lght the other day it seems to have just pulled out from the fitting attached to the carb and frayed everywhere

Edit: the purpose of the spring was to ensure that the arm was fully returning I did some reading and the guys from hot rod mag website mentioned it and I figured I'd give it a shot...didn't work out to good

Last edited:

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Also I am very glad to hear that those 1354s are strong enough cause if I trash it I haven't been able to find another on c-list maybe I'll dig a spare out of pull a part if I come across one

I haven't checked your build lately prerunner. How's the "wiggle wagon" comin

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Also I am very glad to hear that those 1354s are strong enough cause if I trash it I haven't been able to find another on c-list maybe I'll dig a spare out of pull a part if I come across one

I haven't checked your build lately prerunner. How's the "wiggle wagon" comin
Haven't touched it much in years. For some reason I made the Ranger the priority. Although now I think about it, just about everything I robbed from the Bronco for the Ranger is being upgraded. Most of that stuff could go back.
Its still a ways off though, cash is always the determining factor.

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like your shit is rubbing somewhere. No reason a brand new throttle cable (which I think we discussed was a Lokar, right?) frayed and snapped with no prior damage. I run one on my c10 and never had an issue with that.

There are thousands under explorers all across the nation. Get this girl running and driving before worrying about bulletproofing it. Take it from someone who knows.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Yes it's a lokar and I agree I'm bout to be 21 here next month and my present to myself is hopefully just being able to drive my big Ford around all day ha ha one thing that concerns me before it leaves for the T shop is getting the power steering line done right it works the way it is now just leaks. And I'd like to atleast take care of that so I don't have to worry about someone running my pump dry and destroying it. Oh and beating my hinges back out straight so it works right again I haven't messed with it since that night i ev been mad at it. And the zf swap was just an angry idea I had at the time anyway now that prerunner mentioned the T case clocking and all

I realize that it's alot more work

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Ok so not much of an update here just added a fuel pressure regulator to my system because it was runnin g super rich and it seemed to really help I checked the pressure before it was only at like 5.5 lbs but I guess it was still too much right now I'm trying to get a quote from a good trans shop to do what I want with it the family stroker was down due to funky computer problems its runnin again now so it'll be leavin soon

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
i figured ill post up a few things i been doin to the truck I have really been neglecting it as of late new job and family summertime fun tends to make one do those things. Anyway I got the trans pulled out and set up the way I want it and I bought a tci fast gate shifter for it and I just got the trans back from the shop last week but didn't end up getting it back in like I wanted but I'm about to have some time off here shortly to really do it some justice

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
So I got the trans bolted in and I'll be finishing it up tommorow among other things like finishing my center console so I'll have a radio and a fancy new shifter I bought a new carb cause the old one the throttle would stick at a high idle and annoy me and who knows I might even find the custom line store to get a proper PS line so don't keep leaking all my fluid every where and relocate the oil filter so got alot of werk to do but with any luck and decent weather should be rollin soon!!!:icon_bounceblue:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals