• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 to 87 carb swap

turtleracing

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok i just bought an 85 ranger and went to the local pic-n-pull and grabbed some stuff from an 87 range. Anyway dose anyone know if i can get this carb to work on my truck

i already got it put on the truck i just cant get it to start. The truck has spark hell i even tried pouring gas down the carb and nothing. I dont have any of the wires hooked up from the carb yet because i dont want to cut and soider the wires unless i know it will work. any help will be greatly appreciated

turtleracing

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
well stock intake has a crack in it so i have to make this work so pleas help

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Assuming you have a 4 banger (what size 2.0 or 2.3), you can make a 2 barrel carb work on them from what other people have said and done. Told it really wakes up the 4 bangers!! What vehicle did you take the 2 barrel carb from? A manual from the donnor vehicle and yours should help with the wiring. Just take your time!!

turtleracing

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
sorry about that my truck is an 85 5spd 2.0l the carb came off of a 87 5spd I think it was an 2.0l as well both were 4 bangers

BlueOvalLover

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't think that the 2.0 motor ever came with the 2 barrel carb. So the 87 carb must have come off the 2.3.

Did you also get the intake off the 87, or did the 2 barrel bolt right up?

I agree that a diagram from both motors would be helpful for figuring out the wiring. How about the choke. Is it hooked up? Might have something to do with your starting problem.

Keep us informed. I've been considering a similar upgrade for my 83 with 2.0.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Go back and get the 87 intake manifold.. for sure the carb will bolt up to that. Just make sure that your intake ports on the head are the same shape as on the 87. Round, oval or flat bottomed are the three varieties ---- I think.
For what it's worth, as in $$, Racer Walsh (no relation) sold a weber 2v mounting kit or intake, but it's been a while so I am not sure.
tom

turtleracing

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok i have the intake and carb on the truck already i have the fuel line hooked up i go to tart it iturns over and nthing its like its not geting gas i tried pouring gas down the car and still nothing it has spark i checked the fire order 5 times i have all the vacum lines pluged i still have not cut and spliced any wires yet for fear that this carb will not work has anyone put a 2bbl carb on a 2.0l motor befor and if so is thier a write up i can take pics if needed

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
My 88 came with a 2bbl carb...but it was crap...worked OK for a while, but I never did figure out all the emission stuff...and then it crapped out on me once too often...so I swapped on a different intake...my home internet should be up and running soon (hopefully) so I will look at pics when I'm able too...

Are you in Canada by any chance? All the 87 and 88 2.0s were carbed...and they all came with the same or similar carb...I don't have any actual pics of the carb itself, but I have posted pics showing the breather and some of the connectors...

turtleracing

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
nope in the us i just got back from the yard the stiker says 2.0L on the truck got the pig tails for the carb if this dost work i have an old 4bbl holly i will throw on it i guess lol

turtleracing

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok im not geting gas to the plugs so its comig off and te old one is going back on i guess

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Did you put on a 2bbl or another 1bbl?

No gas to the plugs could indicate the carb is not working or something else down the line (fuel related) or vacuum...if you have a major vac leak then the carb likely won't work because there is nothing to suck the gas into the chamber...but it should run in and cause flooding otherwise if the carb is letting gas down to the intake manifold...if you pump the gas pedal (or move the throttle) you should see gas leaking down from the top...or at least smell gas...dumping gas down the throttle (I use quick start spray) should have the same effect...

turtleracing

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Have already done that and nothing and yes the carb is spiting gas from the jets I think the runers are not lining up right or I have a block some were

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Did you clean the carb out before you put it on?

kmack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1984
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
carbs are a headache.

turtleracing

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Alright guys I'm stupid truck fires right up now it was bad plugs and some how I screwed up the fireing order I will post pics soon thanks for the help

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals