• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

83 ranger solid axle swap

arren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
basically, the axle i have in my 83 ranger 4x4 is no good and i need a new one. i can either replace it with the same dana 28 or get a solid axle. i've been looking at swapping in a solid axle sometime in the future anyway so can anyone give me some suggestions and info on what the best axle to use is? i would like to keep the same lug pattern. just any help on what is involved, how much work it will be, and if i will need to buy anything else to make it work would be greatly appreciated. thanks,
arren

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
If you want to keep the same bolt pattern, you need a jeep dana 30 front. You will need to fab up raduis arms and coil mounts as well as shock mounts and other things.

arren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the help. what would be best to get the axle out of?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Actually you got THREE options:

Replace it with another D28 (not recommended if you have anything bigger than stock size tires)
Replace it with a solid axle (requires some fabrication and know-how, but any ranger-compatible SAS candidate will be stronger than the D28.
Replace it with a D35 Explorer axle (basically a bolt-in swap, will handle 35" tires).

IMO, I'd go with the D35.
If you really truly want a solid axle for whatever reason, use a D44 from an '80s Jeep Wagoneer. At least this way you won't be wasting time & effort on an axle (D30) that's not as strong as the available bolt-in option (D35). The D44 will also do 35" tires stock, but with some coin, it can be upgraded to handle 37s.
A D60 is another option to consider as well once you get past 35" on the tire size.

arren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so if i go with the dana 35 it will basically go in like the 28 comes out? and what should i get that out of?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
The dana 35 comes out of an explorer. Theres a good write up on how to do a 28 dana to 35 dana swap in the technical library.

arren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so i understand that i need to shorten my drive shaft if i do this swap. would i be able to get the drive shaft with the new axle from the same rig to mount up? sorry for all the questions i just want to get this right the first time

bronco doas

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yeah if you can find and explorer or newer ranger with the dana 35 the drive shaft out of it should work but if not a drive shaft shop usually will charge like 50 buck to shorten on

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
No, the driveshaft from the donor won't work.

Two problems:
The transmission in your '83 is shorter, and your 1350 transfercase has a different front output configuration than the 1354 used in all D35-equipped vehicles.

If you have at least 4" of suspension lift on it, you may be able to forgo shortening your original shaft however. Just check for sufficient spline travel so it doesn't bind up on full compression of the suspension.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So from what you are all saying is that no matter what the drive shaft will have to be modefide. And ya Im getting interested in doing this one day. SAS would be great but it looks like its more trouble to do then a D28 to D35 swap. But other then drive shaft issues, are there any issues with the original stearing linkage hook up or will it bolt up to a D35?

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dana 35 swap is 99% bolt on. i did it with jackstands and hand tools

get the steering from the 35 as well. its a little bit wider, so you may or may not be able to adjust the 28 steering enough

after you get the 35 in, bolt up your stock d-shaft, and leave the driver side coil out. cycle the beam (gently) up and see if the d-shaft "bottoms out" in the transfer case. if it does, then you need to get the d-shaft shortened. it was $45 local for me. no balance necessary. its too short, and doesn't see high speeds.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a better thing to do then a SAS.....even though a SAS would look bada$$ on a ranger, Im not the worlds best fabricator. But first thing its getting is a 5speed tranny so I can put my 2.8 liter in it. That will happening very soon.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
so your swapinga 2.8 and 5-speed in, get the mazda 5-speed from a early 90 to mid 90s ranger or explorer 4.0 with the dana 35 and driveshaft, lol

arren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i might actually have that much lift. im not really sure because i bought it with the lift and tires it has on it. but im getting the d35 tomorrow from a 91 explorer(if thats a bad donor let me know now before i buy it) and i will do what Tony Raine said. so thanks for everyones help and ill let you guys know how it works out when i get it all in

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would put a 4.0 liter in but i already own the 2.8 liter and dont have the money for another motor plus my 2.8 is going to have a TBI put on it from a 3.8 liter Thunderbird (which I already have). But could I put a 4.0 liter or 2.9 liter tranny behind my 2.8 and have it directly bolt up and have my clutch components work? I doubt my drive shafts be fine and may need modifide. I dont care about having to cut my floor boards to have the shifter work. Any help would be nice. I want a dana 35 and put dana 44 knuckles on it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals