• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

79 Bronco lift?

redrider11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I've found two different 79 bronco's that im looking at getting strictly for off-road use. Skyjacker makes a 9" lift kit for this model, what issues would I run into if I wen't this big? I want this rig to flex really good and to play in mud. Also what size tires should i get? Also im thinkin about a 3" BL. Will I need to do anything to the driveshafts? This is going to be my first time lifting.:yahoo:

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I had a lifted 79 Bronco w/ a 400 for a while. Beasts.

It uses a radius arm and coil front suspension and leafs in the rear.

A kit for a 73-79 1/2 ton F100/F150 and 78-79 FSB 4x4s should contain lift coils, radius arm drop brackets, bushings to correct the caster, a drop pitman arm, and blocks or shackles for the rear.

You might be able to piece together a kit for cheaper. Check out www.broncograveyard.com It's a good site.

You'll of course need longer shocks too.

I didn't have to deal with my drive shafts but they might have to be lengthened. For the rear you can always get a shaft from a same gen F150/F100 and grind the welds around the yoke, pull it out, cut the shaft press her back in, square it up, weld it home, and have it balenced. (Shops will build a new one for maybe 200. Shorten for less cause the parts are already there.)

9" may be a bit tall. The shorter wheel base and top heavy ness don't help much. If you can find coils for a 6" i'd go with those, and cut the fenders to clear the tires you want.

If the bronc has a 400 or bigger motor you'll have the 31 spline nine inch rear. I'd only push 37s or 38s on those axles with a healthy right foot.

The radius arms flex "alright" but the bushings tend to bind. Do a read up on wristed radius arms or even extending the factory arms or running heims.

Good luck and hope this helps

bullardbs

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've found two different 79 bronco's that im looking at getting strictly for off-road use. Skyjacker makes a 9" lift kit for this model, what issues would I run into if I wen't this big? I want this rig to flex really good and to play in mud. Also what size tires should i get? Also im thinkin about a 3" BL. Will I need to do anything to the driveshafts? This is going to be my first time lifting.:yahoo:
I had a 79 with 4 inch lift extented arm etc if you want it to flex good get the cage coils they will flex like a mofo I also was running 38s with 4 inch lift so the 9 will be overkill for what the axles can handle

orfordguy@yahoo.com

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
The bigger the better
Transmission
Manual
My credo
i know something about almost everything but not everything about anything.
lift

my 79 runs a 6" skyjacker kit and no body lift... it'll clear 39.5s all day long.. it has lowered radius arm mounts and all the other brakets to realign the suspension geometry.... i have broken differant parts on both the front and rear axles so its getting a complete dana 60 rear and 3/4 ton 44 front parts to take up the stresses... the drivelines are uncut originals they do reaec but with a couple inches more lift or if i jumped it they'd seperate... hope this helps.. see fullsize ford forum for pics...:yahoo:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
After watching a stock late 70's FSB on 33's run around Wellsville, I'm convinced that they don't really need to be lifted if you know how to pick a line and arn't afraid of dinging the body, and they'll take you about anywhere you want. Only time I saw it stopped was when they popped a bead on a tire.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals