• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5r55e slipping..... ERRRRR!!!!!

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I have a '99 Ranger 4x4 4.0 Sport with a slipping 5r55e. It slips 2nd to 3rd and it also slips into reverse. I has not gotten worse but it really pisses me off driving my truck around like that. I had the vavle body replaced about 2 months ago and that did not solve the problem. I am saving up for a rebuild (slowly but surely) or I may take out a personal load before I blow it up. Anything I should look into before I take the big step for a rebuild?

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
There is a problem with the EPC(electric pressure control)or as most know it as pressure control solenoid. I would see about getting the updated 1 from FORD i think its about 100 bucks not sure..and replace it. This little tranny will not operate below 90 psi minimum pressure. The solenoid pressure should rise with the rise of the TPS..you may want to put a scanner on it to be sure TPS is at right reading also most run around .95v to 1 v at idle.

On all my rebuilds i Always replace EPC.

Hopes this helps somewhat as im not there to take pressure readings..just going off top of head.

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah.... figure that I'm going to take it to the local shop or dealer. I got a quote for $1800 for the closest ford dealer.

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Yea they a little pricey to build.

But you could change the EPC yourself its not hard just too see if it helps it.

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I'll have to try that within the next couple of weeks. I don't know if it will really help though. If the epc was bad would it create excessive vibrations from the trans? Its kinda noisy when you pull it out of the driveway first thing in the morning. Wish I had a manual!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals