• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5r55e Delay going into gear

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2006 Ranger 4.0 4x4 5r55e.

I just got the truck back from the body shop after almost 3 months of waiting for it to be fixed (see this thread for more on that: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115281&highlight=crashed)
Now that I got it back, it behaves differently. When I put it into drive, it takes a full second to actually go into gear. Once it goes into gear, it shifts into every gear perfectly fine. The problem is ONLY when I first shift into drive. It doesn't do it when I shift into reverse. I checked fluid level and it's perfect. What should I do?

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
mine does the same thing from reverse to drive. 1 full second before it pulls. doubt its a problem. your mind is probably thinking, lets see if anything is wrong, and your noticing things you didnt before.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
It definitely didn't take this long to go into gear before.

richlands55

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My 07 had the same problem. The dealer reprogrammed the tcm per a tsb. Check with a ford dealer for a tsb.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The TSB apparently only applies to 07+ trucks, but I'll check it out anyway. I also noticed the tranny cooler gets really hot after a drive, way hotter than it used to. I remember coming home from work and feeling the cooler and it would be warm, but not very hot. Now I come home from work and the cooler is too hot to touch for more than a few seconds. I'm scared to drive my truck now. I don't want to damage it further.

kkjb4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
Check out the 5e55e rebuild diarie,,gave me the confidence to buy a 99 ex with a badly slipping and confused trans. Long story short,put in a new set of seperator plate gaskets and epc solinoid and all is well. Cost me $88 in parts.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Check out the 5e55e rebuild diarie,,gave me the confidence to buy a 99 ex with a badly slipping and confused trans. Long story short,put in a new set of seperator plate gaskets and epc solinoid and all is well. Cost me $88 in parts.
Yep. Throw in any Ford TSBs and a shift kit as long as you're in there. Flush with some AMSOIL atf and you've solved most of the quirks of the 5r55E. Delayed shifting is almost always as simple as an EPC solenoid that is sticking and not providing enough pressure right away to the correct circuit or the valve body gasket has a tear causing low pressure. Its a very simple solution. I see this type of question a lot. I'm considering doing a detailed write up showing "how to". Hmmm, something I'll look into after the holidays.

Nandocarrasco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The TSB apparently only applies to 07+ trucks, but I'll check it out anyway. I also noticed the tranny cooler gets really hot after a drive, way hotter than it used to. I remember coming home from work and feeling the cooler and it would be warm, but not very hot. Now I come home from work and the cooler is too hot to touch for more than a few seconds. I'm scared to drive my truck now. I don't want to damage it further.

Any luck on the slow engage on the Ranger?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals