• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

50,000 RPM wrangler...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I pooped in the furnace.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Making biofuels

Hippie.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
🤯

I stand corrected, a pox upon me for being an ignorant clout!

& tanks for the good info....

Last edited:

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
$700,000 dollars just to drive around with your poop?!

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
$700,000 dollars just to drive around with your poop?!
Well he's prolly got a million in his whole setup. But yeah like a 53f stacker trailer the freightliner/camper thing. oh yeah dude thing is big monies has 2 gen-sets in all diesel powered air ride front seat. A couch and bunk beds for the boys ya know.

It's cleetus McFarland if ya watch YouTube. Calls it freedom force one ha ha!

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Yep, a surprising number of newer Jeeps have manual transfer cases and a few newer vehicles (most notably Dodge trucks) have a button for a neutral setting on the electric transfer case.

My guess is the guy had the manual case and didn’t have the ignition on to see the indicator light and yanked the lever too far. Still very dumb though. I have always been paranoid about doing something dumb so when I put a transfer case in neutral, I double and triple check, then if I can I rock the vehicle or if not pull very slow and watch it to make sure we are good to go.
Seriously though why wouldn't you try to move the jeep like see if it'll move give it a bump in 1st/rev make sure engine is actually disconnected.
I pooped in the furnace.
Man not staying in your house on a cold winter's day.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Yep, a surprising number of newer Jeeps have manual transfer cases and a few newer vehicles (most notably Dodge trucks) have a button for a neutral setting on the electric transfer case.

My guess is the guy had the manual case and didn’t have the ignition on to see the indicator light and yanked the lever too far. Still very dumb though. I have always been paranoid about doing something dumb so when I put a transfer case in neutral, I double and triple check, then if I can I rock the vehicle or if not pull very slow and watch it to make sure we are good to go.
Actually the only "Newer" Jeeps with manual transfer cases are the Wrangler and Gladiator. All others have had electronic/full time single speed, or dual range electronically controlled transfer cases for many years without any manual transfer case option at all....even the Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, and the Compass all have electronic full time transfer cases that use a rotary knob or buttons to control transfer case functions, which are all full time or all wheel drive based, no 2WD option, but they do have a button that you can press with a ballpoint pen to put them into neutral. I think the only Dodge trucks now with a manual transfer case is the Power Wagon even the HD's are a knob on the dash same with the Ford "Super Duty" trucks. Levers I guess require too much work and the system works all the time unlike the electronic crap...GM has had issues with their push button type systems for many years, even the newer rotary knob style has issues getting stuck in 2WD or contacts shorting out and shifting to 4WD on their own whenever they want, yikes. Ford just seems to have issues with their electronic systems from lack of use LOL. Many people hardly ever use the 4WD in their trucks, or maybe once or twice a year during hunting season so the motors tend to lockup...as shown in the 4WD section here on the forum with all the constant my truck is stuck in 2WD or 4WD or low range LOL. Even the manual on my 08 Explorer says if you don't exercise the system occasionally by manually selecting 4WD high and low range it can cause the motor to not function. I select low range every month out on a dirt road somewhere for a couple miles then go back to 4WD auto. Only downside with my Explorer is it doesn't have a 2WD mode but the 4WD auto seems extremely quick to engage as I found this past winter not sure when I'd really ever need 4hi or low range but nice that its still there in the older models.

A manual transfer case while being very simple and usually quite reliable does have its quirks especially on older vehicles or newer ones where there maybe excessive wear, or a lack of use and the lever ends up between ranges, or stuck in a certain range or hard to change between ranges as is the case with a lot of new/newer Jeeps that haven't been into 4WD because believe it or not people buy those Wranglers and they never leave the highway so the 4WD never gets used and the mechanical linkage gets bound up, rusted in place, etc. over time making a shift into 4WD hard or even impossible without physically crawling under the vehicle and disassembling the linkage and lubricating it and manually shifting the transfer case from under the vehicle to free things up. I could see someone in a brand new Jeep actually selecting low range on accident just due to how the lever is. Unlike our RBV's which require you to pull the t-case lever slightly to the left and back into low range as sort of a safety lockout, the Jeeps just go straight forward and back as do the newer Power Wagons, there isn't a stop between neutral and low range so it can easily be screwed up if you aren't really paying attention, and yes it can be shifted into low range without the vehicle in neutral, and without the vehicle running in some cases, I know my 98 ZJ you could shift through all transfer case positions 2WD, high part time, high full time, neutral, and low range without ever inserting the key and without ever shifting the transmission to neutral. The Jeeps seem to have that for some reason as do the Dodge Rams and Dodge Durangos from the early 2000's back to I think 97 or 98 when they changed the transfer case shift pattern in the Durango and Ram. The new Power Wagons use a straight shift pattern too. I don't think any Ford still offers a manual transfer case at all, even as a factory build order. I don't even think GM/Chevy offer a manual t-case anymore either, everything has gone to knobs or buttons or in some cases a combination of both with the selec-terrain systems.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I don't think any Ford still offers a manual transfer case at all, even as a factory build order.
Nope... we can’t even get them as a fleet option anymore.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The mighty Bronco doesn't have a manual option even on the insane packages that are meant to compete with the Rubicon!? A manual t-case is like offroad 101 stuff...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The mighty Bronco doesn't have a manual option even on the insane packages that are meant to compete with the Rubicon!? A manual t-case is like offroad 101 stuff...
Nope it gets "Goat Modes" via a dial...

My "go over any terrain" mode it is to push both transfer case levers all the way ahead...

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Don't forget the complacency factor. It's possible he had another Jeep before this one and flat towed it so often, he just got careless.

Being honest and lazy here; can you flat tow a Ranger? My Hayes manual says not without disconnecting the driveshaft but I never checked the owners manual. (Thinking long tows, not a quick unstuck.
I have flat towed and towed on a dolly hundreds of miles with my choptop. It was a 2wd when I got it, put it in neutral and towed it a couple hundred miles. Converted to 4x4 which in that was a matter of dropping the dummy transfer case out and bolting a 4x4 case in. Put that in neutral now when I tow it.

My 88 came home on a tow dolly, want to say it got put in neutral as it is auto and I couldn’t get the driveshaft bolts out.

Somehow they both survived :dunno:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals