Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello,

I have several questions and I am hoping that this will help members in the future.

Ok, so I have a 96 Supercab, and I am wanting to do a 5/6 drop. The front is easy, djm beams along with Belltech springs.

Now to the rear. If I use the Explorer rear end while keeping the Ranger leaf springs, would that give me a 6 inch drop? I know that using the explorer springs would give it a 4, but I read somewhere that the ranger leafs would provide an extra 2. Any help?

Also to clarify, could I bolt on a 98 and newer 1 piece driveshaft as well?

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 32B05A80BF19AF Expires: July 1st, 2020

maximized98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Apologies maximized '98, missed this.

Std Ranger leaves under SuperCab are 1.5" thick, Ranger axle tube 2.80", take 1/2 for centerline + .25 thickness,Explorer tube is 3.25, take 1/2 for centerline + .25 for thickness on spring mount = 5" lower more/less. Probably closer to 6" now as the spring are closing on 25 years old, assuming originals. I would bolt it in and confirm if you like result or not. Adding a 1" spacer between axle and spring to lower some more isn't a whole lot of extra work.

98+ SuperCab 2wd has same wb as '96 SuperCab 2wd, so the 1 piece driveshaft should fit.

Note 1: 5/6 is based on average truck. If yours has 2.3 engine it will be lighter = not lower as much, as a SuperCab, it has more weight on rear = more lowering.
Note 2: Lowering 5" on front is going to put you at limits on front alignment even with DJM beams, hopefully you know a good alignment shop who is willing to work with the TIB suspension.

maximized98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thank you for all of your help. Mine has the 2.3 and the original leafs as well. According to what I have read, the 3 degree adjustable camber nut should get the alignment somewhat decent. Is that correct?

I have also read conflicting stories on the 1 piece driveshaft rubbing on the floor.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I only lowered 2/3, so didn't have issue with rubbing, am not able to help you anymore there...

3 degree nut should get you decent, depending on exact choice of tires and driving style.