• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0l '89 Bronco II

alpinestar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I just bought an '88 Bronco II with a 5.0 from an '88 thunderbird. the wiring... well its the scariest thing ive ever seen to be honost. So the plan is to swap the 5.0 from the '88 bronco into my '89 that most of you have seen already. The 5.0 has a c6 and np205 behind it, the c6 shifts great has the B&M shifter, and the np205 has a twin stick kit. Also the engine is rebuilt.

So the only questions i have are:
Can i cut the wiring after marking everything so i know whats what, and just splice it back into the wiring in my '89? so basically cut the 5.0's harness into a few pieces and then splice it into the '89 and do the same for all the plugs for the computer and all that.

or... would i be better off getting a whole thunderbird wiring harness and trying to splice it into the wiring into the cab? that to me seems harder i just dont want a big ugly mess like the '88 that i just got has.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Should beable to just cut and spice the new.harness into the 89 just need a good wiring diagram. To help you out save the 2.9s oil and coolant and low oil sensor harness that will be plug and play for the 5.0, the tac has a v8 pin on the back ground that out and run the signal pin/wire to to the - side of the coil the alternator is plug and play into the 89 that just leave the cpu and the rest of the engine harness which with a diagram from autozone.com and a good voltmeter wiring shouldn't be to bad

Once you get it going though can u tell me how that dana 30 holds up?

Should see the mess I got from all the leftover f.I. Wiring that's my next step to clean up when I intall the 84-88 radiator support on my 89(gonna redo how I have the explorer radiator tucked and fix all the wiring while its apart

Last edited:

alpinestar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
k cool that helps alot man.

and the 5.0 is in a bronco II on stock running gear with a 6" lift and 35's and it hasnt broken anything yet. and im welded in the rear... but the dana 30 will just break axles if anything, no biggie for the amount of money you save versus a 44..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals