• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 into 91 4x4 ZF 5 speed and what transfer case???

C130MARINE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger STX
Transmission
Automatic
Good Afternoon Gents,
Im going to swap in a 5.0 with B&M174 roots blower in my 91 4x4 ranger. It will produce 475-500 ft lbs of tq. Was thinking ZF 5 speed (dont feel like paying $1,300 for trans controller if using an auto with overdrive). What transfer cases do you recommend? Pros and cons of your recomondations. If your an automatic guy, Feel free to chime in with your recommendations. Keep in mind, I need Overdrive. I have both dana 35 and 8.8 geared with 5.13's. Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,
Dale

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Why not use the t/case that was attached to them? Is the front output on the wrong side?

Just curious as to why you think you need a blower? Not to rain on your parade, but the truck is light enough as it is and with the V8, 5sp, t/case, and 5.13s you'll have plenty of grunt to get up a wall. All you will need is sticky tires.

Just curious, Cool factory is good enough reason for sure though.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Good God what tire size are you running? 5.13s are at the weak end of the gear ratios (pinion gets smaller as the numerical ratio gets higher).

Don't think either axle will last long with that kind of power, certainly not with those gears. Know a guy who broke an axle with 5.13 gears, in a 4 cyl. jeep. He admitted he was beating it on rocks, but still.....

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
@MikeG I'm not too worried about the 5.13s, I have those in my Nissan and run 35s. I installed them to bring the ratio back close to stock which were 4.63s on 235s. Just don't be popping the clutch and bouncing. Somewhere in there has to be common sense.

After my Nissan is running again I might reconsider the 5.13s though.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Keep in mind your Nissan isn't likely putting out 500 ft-lb of torque.....

Good luck.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep in mind your Nissan isn't likely putting out 500 ft-lb of torque.....

Good luck.
Well, it will be around 350-400. 2003 5.3 stock was 285/345 and it has a mild torque cam in it. so maybe 300/375. So no not 500.

C130MARINE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger STX
Transmission
Automatic
dvdswan,
Why not use the t/case that was attached to them? Is the front output on the wrong side?

Just curious as to why you think you need a blower? Not to rain on your parade, but the truck is light enough as it is and with the V8, 5sp, t/case, and 5.13s you'll have plenty of grunt to get up a wall. All you will need is sticky tires.

Just curious, Cool factory is good enough reason for sure though.
I was asking because ford has several full size T cases. For example the 1356 I was told you have to notch the frame. Now the reason for the blower motor, Because i built it orig as a low rpm tq motor for a foxbody. But instead im going with my 427 windsor stroker in that car. So this blower motor will be perfect for a 4x4 and give me a lil "bigfoot" look with the bug catcher sticking thru. As far as hp, it only goes as fast as you push the pedal. It will prob never see any hard core mudding or get sunk. More of a little badass truck i can cruise around and has the ability to go on the trails. Again, its a pretty mild combo built with tq in mind

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

C130MARINE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger STX
Transmission
Automatic
Good God what tire size are you running? 5.13s are at the weak end of the gear ratios (pinion gets smaller as the numerical ratio gets higher).

Don't think either axle will last long with that kind of power, certainly not with those gears. Know a guy who broke an axle with 5.13 gears, in a 4 cyl. jeep. He admitted he was beating it on rocks, but still.....
Mike, the trucks has had those gears n it since 2005. Yes, if the truck was spinning the tires and it suddenly hooked, with 37.5" rubber It prob would wring the axle off. Knowing that.. I avoid churning the tires. But dude I was asking about a transmission transfer case combo. You have a 2wd with a 2" lift.... and "know a guy" bahahahahaha.

C130MARINE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger STX
Transmission
Automatic

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

C130MARINE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger STX
Transmission
Automatic
@MikeG I'm not too worried about the 5.13s, I have those in my Nissan and run 35s. I installed them to bring the ratio back close to stock which were 4.63s on 235s. Just don't be popping the clutch and bouncing. Somewhere in there has to be common sense.

After my Nissan is running again I might reconsider the 5.13s though.
dvdswan, I was going to order a 4.56 ratio and guy from yukon gear told me truck would prob constantly downshhift everytime 18 wheeler passed me....wouldnt be big enough for 4.0 to turn tall tires. I listened. Only shitty thing is i cant really go faster than 62mph without the motor screaming 3k+. I wish I had went with either 4.56 or 4.88. Just to keep highway rpm down. Bug around town, barely touch the gas it it rolls so nice. No effort for the mighty 160hp 4.0 LMAO

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The research I've done on mine was the 60mph rpms will be around 2300. that's because of the OD. In 3rd gear I would be hitting 3k at 60.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
NP205, BW 1356, BW 1345, BW 4406, BW 4407...

All of them should bolt up. Everything other than the 205 may require frame trimming or reclocking to fit.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm running the NP205. You will have to make a support to attach to the frame rail so it doesn't break the tail on the transmission.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals