• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4WD to 2WD?

cckc135r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liters of German fury
Transmission
Manual
I know this is going to sound a bit odd to most but I'm more of a 2WD kinda fella. Anyway, what I've got is an 85 B2 4X4, 2.8 w/ A4LD (going bad, go figure). I know at one point Ford had 2WD B2's with a dummy t-case. The question is "are the 2WD first gen Ranger front suspensions the same as the 2WD B2's? Could a guy just swap the 2WD components from a 2WD to the B2? I know it's very involved would take some time to do however, I like Ford products and this way would beat having to go to an S-10 2WD Blazer. The plan is this, 2WD B2 302 C4 combo. Anyone with any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well basically you are doing the exact opposite of a 4x4 swap so you need...

2wd engine crossmember, the beams, and some suspension components. if you get a parts vehicle and are swaping out the tranny I would just get a 2wd tranny.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
91-94 explorers and 83-90 bronco ii have i beams for 2wd that will bolt to the stock 4wd crossmember, you just need the beams arms, and the inner drop bracket from the above vehicles.

the rangers are the oddballs for 2wd to 4wd and and vis versa with there special 2wd engine crossmember

cckc135r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've not seen any 2WD B2's in this area so the donor would have to be a 1st gen Ranger. Wondering if the 2WD Ranger trans crossmember could be used in the B2. Okay guys thanks for the info and I now have some direction. I would also use the 2wd trans as not even worry about the dummy T-case. Thanks.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
lots of 2wd b2's on craigslist around here.........

Frank

macd7919

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have all the parts you need as I just did the 2wd -> 4wd swap, you can have them for $150 if you want to pay for the shipping, pm me if your interested.

cckc135r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have just found a bunch of 2wd explorers...I am also interested in your left over parts, will PM shortly. Thanks.

macd7919

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think the bracket for the i beams will just swap over as mentioned earlier, they are quite different between the 2wd and 4wd> You need to remove the 4wd bracket by grinding off the rivets then install the 2wd bracket using the appropriate bolts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals