• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4R44E - is it that easy? And question.

JerEazy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 3.9
Transmission
Automatic
Morning! First post here - but I have been lurking around and used quite a bit of the info to tear the engine apart and replace the heads, head gaskets and oil pan gasket, and everything on the way in and out on the 2000 3.0. (Speaking of that… that oil pan sucks). Bought the truck knowing it needed engine work so I could wrench it out and give it to my nephew for his first car.

So here’s the question: now that the truck runs well the transmission seems to “slip” from a stop. Like I hit the gas and it revs and moves a bit, I take foot off the gas and it kinda chunks into gear and off she goes.

Reading around says the valve gasket in the tranny is the most likely culprit. So, here I am planning to drop the pan, pull the valve body and check those gaskets. I have never touched a transmission before. So despite pulling an engine apart, it spooks me a bit. But it seems pretty straight forward unless I’m missing something?

Second; I see these “new” valve bodies with a shift correcting/improvement kit already installed. If I’m pulling it out, is it worth it to swap out?

lastly: I can shift the trans as long as the key is on between all gears without using the brake. Isn’t the brake required to shift? If so, where do I check/fix to repair that issue?

Thanks! More posts to come.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Things to consider would be how many miles are already on the transmission. You will get a good idea of the condition of the transmission when you drop the pan.

I know many have had good results with the shift kits but it really isn't a fix if the transmission is already worn out.

There is a known issue on some of these with the valve body gasket... just understand it isn't always the fix for transmission issues.

Good luck...

JerEazy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 3.9
Transmission
Automatic
Things to consider would be how many miles are already on the transmission. You will get a good idea of the condition of the transmission when you drop the pan.

I know many have had good results with the shift kits but it really isn't a fix if the transmission is already worn out.

There is a known issue on some of these with the valve body gasket... just understand it isn't always the fix for transmission issues.

Good luck...
thanks - so the gasket swap should be pretty straight forward. But I’ll know if it’s the issue or not once I get the valve body down?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I think it should be straight forward...

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If it has been having mushy shifts for very long, the internal clutch packs will be worn out so a full rebuild will be required. If you caught it right away, changing the valve body may be all that is needed.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
thanks - so the gasket swap should be pretty straight forward. But I’ll know if it’s the issue or not once I get the valve body down?
Once you get the valve body down it will be too late to do it right, because there are many different length screws involved

JerEazy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 3.9
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure I understand what you mean? I have read you need to make sure you keep the screws organized… but how would that mean it’s too late to do it right?

JerEazy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 3.9
Transmission
Automatic
Circling back here. Pan is down, all the black bolts are removed and organized… I was under the impression the brass colored ones stay in to hold the solenoids - am I wrong there? I don’t want to start pulling this thing if those bolts should come out.

this is my first attempt at anything on a tranny, so please excuse the hesitancy to just start pulling stuff off.

JerEazy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 3.9
Transmission
Automatic
Second, there’s 4 in the passenger side corner that hold a plunger like object in. It doesn’t seem attached to the body, so I’ve left them in. Do those need to come out?

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thats the reverse piston. You can easily replace those 2 ORings & that smaller gasket. Your option.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looks like you found the problem.

JerEazy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 3.9
Transmission
Automatic
Fingers crossed. After it was all buttoned up and pan back on and torqued and I was filling I saw a piece of paper and bolt in the filter box that said to use the new bolt when reinstalling the filter. I used the one off the old filter.

am I good? It torqued down?

JerEazy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 3.9
Transmission
Automatic
Heard from a few that it was ok in the 99+ to reuse bolt.

holy hell what a difference! Instant reverse engagement, no slip from a stop.

glad I took on the job

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Great work & inspiration+info for others!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals