• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0l OHV need some advice/tips/hints

Brick+Truck=Good

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L 6 Cyl.
Transmission
Manual
My 1994 4.0l OHV is in shit condition.

The coolant is rusty red, the exhaust is pushing out some nice smoke, and the coolant doesn't stay full.

I'm thinking head gaskets need to be swapped, and I was told, the heads themselves may need to be changed.

Any tips or hints on how to make this job easier would be appreciated.

chazz79

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I've found this to be fairly stout engine when it comes to head gaskets. I drove mine home 15 miles on one fill up of water (white cloud behind me of course).

The heads are often garbage. Price yourself a new set of castings. Mine cost 450.00 with my old valves and springs re-used. Drivers side valve covers rot on these things and are available at the dealer for @ 60.00. Head set 120.00 fel-pro....head bolt set 40.00 fel-pro. Add fluids, filters, plugs and wires and the DIY total is 800 bucks easy.

Wiegh your options wisely or you'll end up like me, a genious with a 186k engine that now has a 1k top end. :(

My only regret is that I left the rattling lifters in place. You can only access these with the heads off so it may be wise to replace those while you're doing the heads.

Brick+Truck=Good

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L 6 Cyl.
Transmission
Manual
yea... bought the truck at $900 with far too many issues... this is like the last straw when it comes to issues.

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
Sell it to me! ....oh wait,you did

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals